First 120/220 films and new Lab.

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Sent off four film last week for the 2013 competition and received them back yesterday, excellent service from AG Labs in turnaround time, however the quality of some of the films is not particularly good.

I sent a 220 fujicolour 400H which is OK, but some of the negs have bad scratches across them, it cannot be the camera as it is inconsistent and I believe is the handling process the film went through.

The second film was a 35mm Portra 160VC and I am pleased with the overall results, still some negs have these scratches, which is annoying.

The over two film were 120 T-Max 100 B&W, one which was totally blank and I take responsibility for that, but do you know that they did not scan, quiet rightly yet still charged for the scanning.:bonk: The second seems to be good without any faults and the quality is not to bad.

I do not think I would use them again for 120/220 or E6 and will stick to Photo express in Hull for my 35mm C41 work, I will now have a good look at ChrisR price matrix to see who else to try.

The last thing is these were for my Feb and Mar entries and I have out of all that four what I consider to be keepers( very low threshold me :D ). I just wish there was a contact point say like TBY who you could send shots to and ask which one!!! please tell me. :D:D;).

I had a similar problem with AG a while back. I now use Peak Imaging and I haven't had a single issue, excellent quality and really fast turn round time. I sent the last lot of on a monday afternoon and had them back wednesday morning.

Andy

...I just wish there was a contact point say like TBY who you could send shots to and ask which one!!! please tell me. :D:D;).

Just do what I used to - print all of 'em - large as you can and live with them, eventually you'll get sick of seeing the faults in one - take that down and continue the process with the others until you get one you can stand...

I usually ended up doing around 3 re-shoots of each months pictures, and almost never made my decision which to submit until 11pm on the last night!

Co-incidentally, I almost always HATED every shot I entered into the comp. by the time I'd got to the point of submission APART from my final entry. I liked that one, and even submitted it reasonably early. Just a shame that some people decided to make comments which then caused me to tear up the prints I had done of it, and not to ever want to see it again...

I had a similar problem with AG a while back. I now use Peak Imaging and I haven't had a single issue, excellent quality and really fast turn round time. I sent the last lot of on a monday afternoon and had them back wednesday morning.

Andy

Thanks for thank Andy, I will try them next time.(y)

Just a shame that some people decided to make comments which then caused me to tear up the prints I had done of it, and not to ever want to see it again...

Some people say the most terrible things and can when questioned never justify the comments, that's the life of the jealous person I guess.

Cheers TBY.(y)

I do not think I would use them again for 120/220 or E6 and will stick to Photo express in Hull for my 35mm C41 work, I will now have a good look at ChrisR price matrix to see who else to try.

For a couple of E6 I think Genie look remarkably cheap with or without scans, but they are expensive for BW. I think Club35 are next cheapest after AG for BW (process and scan). Without scans, Peak and Darkroom are cheaper than Club35 for BW.

I've normally had the Monday-Wednesday experience with Photo Express; this week it was Monday-Thursday (I was hopping about Wednesday afternoon!). AG have been much slower both times I used them...

I do think AG are getting slower, saying that though I did send them around 6 films and had them scanned and I was very pleased with the results.

Also I ordered some film from them nearly 4 weeks ago and I'm still waiting!

I can echo the same findings as Andy on the service they provide.

Last edited:
Back