First attempt at landscape.....

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,:wave: im new to the forum and forums in general......................im one of those that usually stalks around forums to gain information but never really takes part and posts anything.
I was introduced to this talk photography by a fellow motorclub member who is far better and more into photography than me.
Thes photos are taken on a range of cameras from pocket point and shoot to a panasonic fz50 and a minolta dynax 7d with 70-300 f5.6- all now sold and hopefully getting a new slr and f2.8 lens in the new year.
I'm not that good photographer but i do appriciate and respect good photography, im more of a point and shoot and hope for the best, hope to pick up more with experiance, I do have a good eye usually for what makes a good picture- mostly motorsport because thats what i like.....spectating and competeing. The pictures im posting are no way near the usual quality posted on here but im proud of them and what I acheived with the equipment i had to hand.

I thought id share, hope you like them-

3 off the back of stena hss

4 village in the french alps while watching monte carlo rally

more-
6 Llanberis

7 Rhos on sea

8 off snowdon

9 town in south of france?

10 Watching a rally on traws ranges

11 Rhyl prom

John,

Normally I would try and keep it down to 1-3 pictures in relation to getting feedback because giving meaningful feedback about more than a dozen pictures in rather time consuming and when they are from one person it would likely to repetitive. Looking through them, there are quite a few that could have been quite promising but they are mostly missing something. It is often desirable to have some foreground interested that leads us out towards the picture. Number 11 does this. 6 does but the trees block your sight making it rather claustrophobic. 7 had promise but again I would have liked to have seen something in the foreground. They all seem to have been taken from high up too! I would suggest having a good look through the landscapes forum at other peoples work and reading the critique they get as this will give you lots of pointers.

John, after reading your preamble I wasn’t expecting too much but when I saw the pictures I thought WOW! – I agree, you do have an eye for what makes a good picture.

OK, one or two might be improved with very little adjustment but all in all they’re fine.

1. I love those snow capped peaks stretching as far as the eye can see. Next time you shoot a shot like this I would suggest less sky, more foreground; the application of the so called “Rule of Thirds” would improve its ‘viewability’.

2. This is a powerful image - no pun intended yet appropriate if it had been!

My suggestion is to crop the sky to place the horizon at dead centre. The turbines will neutralise the “Thirds Rule”.

3. I too find fascination in a ship’s wake … some are believed to have become so mesmerized that they have flung themselves overboard – thank god this is just a picture!

4. Very clear and sharp, and your verticals are vertical - a colourful composition.

5. Well seen and nicely taken.

6. A tranquil stream running into the sea - nicely composed and exposed.

7. Too much in the picture, lacks a subject or an adequate point of interest. Yet the picture is not without appeal.

8. Ah, a grandiose spur … how many such have I trekked. Hence I’m too emotionally involved to make a credible comment, other than ‘I like it!’

9. A powerful lead in to a point of insufficient interest.

10. Beautifully atmospheric yet if your title is really what you are wanting to express, then being closer and placing more emphasis upon the figures “Watching a rally …” would have given more meaning to your picture.

11. An interesting composition, I like the way you have captured the starkness of the moment – in this instance more successfully than in #13..

12. Again, no improvement upon #2.

Please keep working on your landscapes John. You have the eye; all you need is practice.

Thanks,
I was impressed that i got an image at all or usable image from shot 1, i didnt really expect 1........................... as it was taken using a minolta dimage xg 3.2mp point and shoot camera out of the window of an easyjet airbus a319 flying over the alps to nice in france to watch the monte carlo rally! I just took a chance and managed to pull it off.

Thanks for your comments.

Welcome and a really nice set to begin with. I won't comment on them all but the ones that really caught my eye were No's 1, excellent considering the circumstances, 3 lovely colours but the horizon could do with a little straightening and 8 like Mark I am a sucker for a spur.
Hope you get your new toy soon and enjoy using it.

Andy

Back