First attempt at macro

Edit My Images
No
I got my canon 50mm f2.5 macro lens this weekend so I thought I'd post one of my first attempt here for comments... If you're interested it's the eye of Mrs Skintt :naughty:

IMG_1809[small].jpg

ISO 1600 (unfortunately I didn't have much light to play with)
f2.5
1/500th

Only adjustments were altering the hue slightly in Photoshop CS

The focus is spot on but the white balance seems to be out by quite a margin. I would definately have another play with the original to correct that.

My monitor showing strange marking just below left of the eye?

I couldn’t resist

IMG_1809_small.jpg

I still think it is a little warm, but you will know better than me.?

And before someone else does it..

IMG_1809_small_1_001.jpg

Again very quick and dirty, if you do it on the original please spend some time and do it properly.

It was just screaming for that treatment ;)

Edit..redone the second shot as the first attempt was very poor :(

Steve said:
The focus is spot on but the white balance seems to be out by quite a margin. I would definately have another play with the original to correct that.

Had a little play with the original RAW file...

IMG_1809[small2].jpg

Steve said:
Again very quick and dirty, if you do it on the original please spend some time and do it properly.

It was just screaming for that treatment

Think i might have a go at this one on the original. Nice!

P-E said:
How you do the 2nd Steve?

I duplicated the image, converted it to black and white, using curves I then altered its look to how I wanted the finished face to look (contrast mainly). I then used a large soft brush in white to remove all the outline and details that I didn’t want to be seen. I then brought back the original image over the top of my now black and white picture. Adjusted the layers so that the colour was underneath the B&W. Using the eraser I removed the black and white iris to reveal the colour of the eye. Then did a little softening and sharpening in certain areas around the eye, flattened the image and tweaked the levels, bordered it and it was done.

Cheers Steve.......

Will give it ago when I have time and find an image.........although it probably for too complicated for me to do.

It has given it a real arty/pro look to the original image imo.

Eye, eye what's going on here then......very good sharp shot and I think the b/w and blue of Steve's is excellent.

P-E said:

Yep....I can only assume it's something on the lens. Nice pic by the way.

regards

Steve said:
I duplicated the image, converted it to black and white, using curves I then altered its look to how I wanted the finished face to look (contrast mainly). I then used a large soft brush in white to remove all the outline and details that I didn’t want to be seen. I then brought back the original image over the top of my now black and white picture. Adjusted the layers so that the colour was underneath the B&W. Using the eraser I removed the black and white iris to reveal the colour of the eye. Then did a little softening and sharpening in certain areas around the eye, flattened the image and tweaked the levels, bordered it and it was done.

Ok, here's my first attempt at replicating Steve's changes...

IMG_1809mod.jpg

Hopefully I should be able to improve on it when I'm at home and have photoshop infront of me (we only have a licence for paint shop pro at work)

P-E said:
I'm not sure what exactly it is, the only thing I can think is the way the light is shining through her hair and casting an odd shadow just below her eye, which is in sharp focus compared the rest of her upper cheek.

Again very quick and dirty

I know I'm not the only one here immature enough to snigger at that. :naughty:

Liked the conversion too. For a first attempt I thought that was brilliant Skintt.

Steve said:
I couldn’t resist

IMG_1809_small.jpg

You have got the skin tones spot on there Steve, Nice work.. :)

Steve said:
The focus is spot on ...

:ponders:
Hmmm, I'm not sure that it is actually. Considering it was taken at 1/500 I would have thought the iris would have been sharper. I think the focus might have been on the eyebrow.

Any thoughts?

SammyC said:
Hmmm, I'm not sure that it is actually. Considering it was taken at 1/500 I would have thought the iris would have been sharper. I think the focus might have been on the eyebrow.

Any thoughts?

I think you're probably right. It was manually focused, and I'm just not that great at judging the focal point in the viewfinder (yet :thumb: )

It is hard with the 1.6 crop. Any reason why you didn't use AF?

SammyC said:

Any thoughts?

Sorry yes you are correct but for the selective black and white I think the very slight oof softens the image nicely, and it still works well.

Heh, weird! Why is it that it looks correct in B&W but blurred in colour?

I had a go at doing the arty one following Steve's instructions but failed miserably :coat:

P-E said:
I had a go at doing the arty one following Steve's instructions but failed miserably :coat:

If you start your own thread with the picture you want it doing on I will help you and guide you through the stages...providing you are using photoshop?

Steve said:
If you start your own thread with the picture you want it doing on I will help you and guide you through the stages...providing you are using photoshop?

Thats most kind.

At present I have no particular picture..........just impressed with what was achieved above with the original image and was playing with that (hope you don't mind skinnt) in CS2.

When I have an image that is worthy of that editing rest assured there will be only one place I will come to ask for assistance. ;)

I think you just have to go and take some photos, as the source of this thread shows the most unobvious of shots can produce the best results! :)

SammyC said:
Any reason why you didn't use AF?

I'm trying to teach myself to use MF as much as possible in handheld macro shots as I find my 50mm f2.5 tends to hunt a lot on very close shots. Also it's very noisy!

P-E said:
At present I have no particular picture..........just impressed with what was achieved above with the original image and was playing with that (hope you don't mind skinnt) in CS2.

Not at all. Steve's edit has given me a chance to hone my PS skills some more as I would never thought of it myself :thumb: . It would be interesting to see others results in trying to achieve the same thing.

Back