First attempt at people shots

Name
sue
Edit My Images
Yes
Starting a college course on social documentary, and getting over my shyness of photographing people, I went to the local steam railway to try a few shots.

Would appreciate comments/critiques.

1. looking out the window
2008_07_31-6464-40D-Nene_Valley_Railway.jpg

2. gritty engine driver
2008_07_31-6518-40D-Nene_Valley_Railway-edit_2_.jpg

3. fire man
2008_07_31-6509-40D-Nene_Valley_Railway-edit.jpg

4. hello
2008_07_31-6513-40D-Nene_Valley_Railway-edit.jpg

5. doing something
2008_07_31-6526-40D-Nene_Valley_Railway-edit.jpg

6. feeding the boiler
2008_07_31-6554-40D-Nene_Valley_Railway.jpg

Very nice start (y)
Never had the bottle to try photographing strangers so well done to you.

Prefer the B+W ones to be honest
The images appear a bit soft (out of focus) to me but that could be my eyes :LOL:

Try and get the eyes as sharp as you can.

The gritty engine driver is my favourite

Well done (y)

Thanks robin. I think you're right the ones of the fireman are a bit soft - but he did move around really fast doing stuff while the engine driver sat and chatted so think I just didn't catch focus accurately enough. Something I'll have to keep an eye on I think.

If the others look soft that's hopefully because I'm useless at sharpening - remembering to apply it and applying the right amount. So much to still learn...

The backgrounds on 3 and 4 are too clean for the subject, but the last one is superb (y)

Full of character these and that last one is superb! A touch soft as you say but a lovely set and again the characters shine through!!!

Very nice set.. I like them all.... get out there and find some more...

Shutterman

Thanks all for the feedback - pleased as punch that some like the last one. Took a lot of fiddling about, smiling, asking permission, pleading and getting in people's way to get the last shot - its on 10mm lens as it was so cramped in there! And I thought I was in real danger of my camera lens melting - that or my trousers burning off!

Sue
(no available smily of me burning up, possibly in hell, so just imagine)

The backgrounds on 3 and 4 are too clean for the subject, but the last one is superb (y)

good point - its the nasty grey sky that burnt out as light conditions were so tricky on the footplate. might try cloning in bits of steam engine or something...

That'll teach me not to look what I'm doing - stuck this in the wrong place! - Doh!

Last edited:
Back