Beginner First attempt at the moon.

Edit My Images
Yes
I used a telescope with a lens attachment. I have no idea what mm the telescope was at this point as it is now in the attic. :')

My first attempt at taking a picture of the moon in manual mode. And first attempt overall. It is a bit, no, very grainy when you zoom in. Any ideas how to get rid of that either now or for next time?

MBwlQVU.jpg

It does look very soft and a little oof.
What was the shutter speed? It doesn't appear to be camera shake but you never know.

Let us know what camera settings and the telescope size.

I use an 8" sky watcher, and the camera just hooks onto it. Moon is very bright, so a low ISO can be used with fast shutter speed. Also need to have remote camera release or a cable release to prevent any shake.

Tend to be a little disappointed with camera shots, as the view thru the telescope is brilliant. Almost see the bugs running around on the moon surface (oh yea!!)

As has been said here before, full on shots of the moon don't really show the craters at their best. Half moon shots show much more shadow, thus better crater shots........

Keep trying.... as we all do........

Mj

For a first effort that's not too bad at all. I've taken lots of moon images, but now I only bother when it is between 25-75% illuminated. I certainly avoid full moon shots as these show virtually no detail.

My advice would be:-

1) Concentrate on getting focus. Use the live view on you camera and zoom in as much as possible. I spend a good 10 minutes trying to ensure focus is good.
2) Always use mirror lock up mode and remote release. After the mirror gets locked, wait for about 5-10 seconds before taking the shot.
3) I use a slightly higher ISO, maybe 400 and a higher shutter speed to reduce any issue with the moon moving across the scopes view.
4) Take lots of shots at various shutter speeds to ensure you get one with the best contrast possible.
5) I try to take my images when the moon is high in the sky to prevent the atmosphere causing as much distortion.

This is an example. Taken through a Skywatcher 130P with a 2x Barlow using my Canon 450D.

141030-184300
by Jason Clogg, on Flickr

Back