First Attempt At Water Drops :-s

Name
Michaela.
Edit My Images
Yes
C & C Welcome but please be gentle as it's my first attempt!

4270060188_4a19de24c6.jpg

4269318101_b811bd2481.jpg

4270064890_de0371343d.jpg

4269336323_1a5dabf094.jpg

Taken with a Canon 400d & Kit 18-55mm lens.

Yeh not bad. My recommendation would also be a more horizontal camera angle, and also let the water settle before bursts of picture taking. The drop formations are much pretty when done into fresh, settled water (y)

Oh, and experiment with colours, and backgrounds, and milk! :)

Not easy is it. this is a good attempt for a first go, try and get the camera a little lower to get more of a side on shot. it will show off the splash much better.

Any reccomendations on how to do this? I was as close as I could get without chinning the sink/getting my camera wet! :LOL:

Yeh not bad. My recommendation would also be a more horizontal camera angle, and also let the water settle before bursts of picture taking. The drop formations are much pretty when done into fresh, settled water (y)

Oh, and experiment with colours, and backgrounds, and milk! :)

I will try, I had the most unhelpful tap to work with which didn't help1

Thanks for the advice (y)

Firstly! Dont use your sink! Set up a small clear bowl inside a larger one on the kitchen worktop. Fill the small one up to the brim. Try and get your camera level or just above level with the rim of the smaller bowl (preferably it will be higher than the other, the big one is just to catch overflow!). Now work out a way you can drip water into the same place in the bowl (bit of diy needed and imagination here!). Once you have this sussed, put a wooden spoon in the bowl and pre focus on that (manual focus). Set up some form of background, and if you can use an off camera flash to bounce of the background. Set your camera to a high shutter speed as poss while keeping the iso low, try and use a remote release and continuous shooting mode. This way you should capture something!

Should look something like this..

4118748752_30720f0be8_m.jpg

Hope that helps?!?!

Firstly! Dont use your sink! Set up a small clear bowl inside a larger one on the kitchen worktop. Fill the small one up to the brim. Try and get your camera level or just above level with the rim of the smaller bowl (preferably it will be higher than the other, the big one is just to catch overflow!). Now work out a way you can drip water into the same place in the bowl (bit of diy needed and imagination here!). Once you have this sussed, put a wooden spoon in the bowl and pre focus on that (manual focus). Set up some form of background, and if you can use an off camera flash to bounce of the background. Set your camera to a high shutter speed as poss while keeping the iso low, try and use a remote release and continuous shooting mode. This way you should capture something!

Should look something like this..

4118748752_30720f0be8_m.jpg

Hope that helps?!?!

Thank you very much, it sounds alot easier than they way I was trying to do it, I'll give it a go when I get the chance. (y)

One quick focusing tip that I used when having a go at this in the sink, get a few drops going and put whichever focus point you wish to use right on the top of the splash. Then, on autofocus, keep the drips going and hold something (I used a fork) exactly where the drops are splashing up to. You then get focus right at the top of the splash. It's frustrating doing it, but it works.

Back