First attempt (London!)

Name
Sacha
Edit My Images
Yes
Realised I had posted in the wrong section last time, so here is a shot I took the other night with my GH4. Before and After to show what I've done in post.

Before:

2127ayq.jpg

And after:

2hd5jys.jpg

I'm pretty damn impressed with the results considering the massive light pollution! If that's what I'm getting in London, imagine the kind of photos I'll be getting when I take my camera to a proper dark sky site in a few weeks....

Panasonic Lumix GH4
Olympus 25mm (50mm equivalent) f/1.8 lens
1600 ISO
f/2.8
8 second exposure

Last edited:
Impressive shot and very nice processing Sacha(y)

It just goes to show what can be done.

Please can I ask how you processed the shot? Thanks

Seconded - really interesting in more details on how you shot/processed. Londoner here - always thought city night sky was unshootable apart from the moon!

I am by no means an expert when it comes to image editing, so I spent a while just messing around and ended up doing the following:

In Camera Raw, I adjusted the colour temperature to 3300K and added a +8 tint.
I upped the contrast to +40 and reduced highlights to -70.
In terms of colour, +60 clarity and +10 saturation.
A little noise reduction at 20 luminance, 50 detail, 25 colour and 50 colour detail.

Then in Photoshop, I created a duplicate layer with multiply blending mode set to 50% and 75% fill opacity. Then I adjusted the vibrance/saturation to make the blues really pop.

This last stage I think was the most important. Adding a duplicate 'multiply' layer at 50% blending really transforms the photo, as it draws out the individual stars a lot more.

Back