First Attempt Wire Wool Spinning

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
As the title suggests - after aquiring the relevant "parts" for my rig, I set off to one of the locations I had scouted previously.

I wanted to do something a little bit more creative, but this was a "controlled" experiement to see how the mechanics work.

Day #30 - Firestarter ... Swirly Firestarter

Firestarter ... Swirly Firestarter by Mr-Davies, on Flickr

Cross-posted from my 365 thread, linked in my sig.

I like it! I plan to do this some time this week how did you choose a location I am terrified I will set fire to something!

I shot it under a bridge - so there wasn't anything to burn, except myself.

It has also been raining, and I had a fire extinguisher and a blanket in the car - just in case.

Good luck with your attempt, I look forward to seeing your results!

Looks good but if it was me i would of taken a small stepladder so the circle was more central.

That is neat! I think what made it work so well was how you did it in a boxed-type enclosure. Good job!

SAVA9E said:
Looks good but if it was me i would of taken a small stepladder so the circle was more central.

I know what you mean. I think had the "ceiling" been a bit lower, it would have perhaps been more balanced.

Unfortunatley the location meant that a stepladder would not have been a good idea :D

as a matter of interest how long does an average ball of wire wool burn?

A superb 1st attempt, you've made it look easy.

Thank you all for taking the time to comment ... really chuffed by the response, both here and on Flickr! :D

as a matter of interest how long does an average ball of wire wool burn?

I think it's dependant upon several factors - the quantity of wool, how densely it's packed into the holder, how much air can get to the holder etc. I've also heard that using a 9v battery gets a more energetic response than using a lighter (which is what I used).

That is probably about 10 seconds (at a guess) with a fairly large ball - which I pulled apart to separate slightly. My holder is probably about the size of a grapefruit.

Just a note for anyone thinking of attempting this - do make sure any exposed areas of skin are covered and also remember that the "lump" of burnt wire wool will stay hot for quite a while afterwards (particularly worth noting if you need to make a quick exit :D)

That is great, I think the square outline of the bridge frames it really well.

Thanks Mark, it was the result I was aiming for, although I hadn't realised quite how high the ceiling was. :D

Would love to do that!! Any good links to how?

Chris Benbow (aka [Nocturne] of noctography.co.uk), who is actually a neighbour of mine, posted a good tutorial on YouTube.

Last edited:
Metal whisks are apparently really good to use to hold the wire wool

Ironically I've just found that out ... wish I knew before I spent so much on my current holder :D

Have to give it a try to see if the results are any different!

Nice work there Paul.

I've attempted it last Summer under a bridge too, had to make my own wire wool holder too (used a hooked metal coat hanger in the end!)

The only crit I think is that square seems to be a little off horizontal and the blurred model in the middle feels to be more distrating than adding on to the image. Good attempt though :)

Here's mine if you're interested.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjonesphotography/4899140211/in/set-72157622864274534

Nice work there Paul.

I've attempted it last Summer under a bridge too, had to make my own wire wool holder too (used a hooked metal coat hanger in the end!)

The only crit I think is that square seems to be a little off horizontal and the blurred model in the middle feels to be more distrating than adding on to the image. Good attempt though :)

Here's mine if you're interested.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjonesphotography/4899140211/in/set-72157622864274534

Cheers Colin!

Unforutnately I was limited by the fact that it's a live road (so was shot at an angle). I "think" I levelled this in post using the top line of the bridge - so I can't tell if it's the gutter at the bottom right that makes it look odd?

As for the blurry me in the middle, it's a fair point and having looked at your image - very likely the result of a shutter speed of 30 seconds required (vs your 6) as I don't have a remote release.

Your shot is really nice and what I would like to produce when I can find a suitable location - but will certainly give your exposure settings a try.

Hey davie, great effort :D Get yourself some magnesium off ebay!

nice first attempt. makes me want to get back out there and spin :) Bridges are ideal!

Maybe shorten the burn time and reduce the shutter speed a bit. Also, use the finest wire wool you and play with the white balance :)

Last edited:
Excellent attempt first or not... so many things to try from this forum!!

Back