Critique First attempt with my civic

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, looking for any feedback good or bad for the actual composition etc and perhaps post processing. This is the second time I've had the camera out and the first of my car.

The car was in a pretty shaded area so I was fighting with blowing out the sky. I under exposed to keep the detail in the highlights so I could bring them out in post. Was this the right approach and am I right in thinking a fill flash would have helped me here?

View attachment 22543 View attachment 22544 View attachment 22545 View attachment 22546 View attachment 22547

Hi mate. No pro but my two cents worth. Lovely car!

I like the first shot, the cropping is too tight for me on that one. If it was a bit wider I'd be less inclined to notice the bend in the image, the camber of the road probably doesn't help.

The second I love the composition, the house gives an interesting background but with the colour differences it doesn't take away too much from the main subject, however the car does need a bit more lighting. its a bit on the dark side for me.

Not a fan of the third image's composition if I am honest. The fourth image I like the idea, but I think getting the house in with a bit of DOF rather than the corner of the house and the bland field would have made the photo work a bit better.

If it was me, Id have focused a little on getting the sky correctly exposed and perhaps have stood up a reflector to highlight the car. A reflector would have worked using the bright sky to fill out the darkness a bit, a fill flash would have given un natural light bouncing off the car.

Thanks. I tend to rush for some weird reason as if I shouldn't be doing it, so I really need to take my time and think about the shots.

Car is under-exposed which I'm kind of annoyed at, I've tried adding exposure but it was starting to get grainy.

I was too busy focusing on not losing the sky that I didn't really pay enough attention to other things like the surroundings.

Good suggestion on the reflector. Does a reflector give noticeable boost to the shadows without direct sunlight?

Location isn't too far away so I think I'll go back another day and try again.

Galgorm castle? If so u wont get sun behind u any time of the day. Great location but I would concentrste on exposing for the car. The castle will b fine and u should try a slightly overcast day with a darker moodier sky. Then u could bring out the detail in car and castle.

what about evenings, is the castle lit up. Can u get up the side and use reflections of the castle in the car?

Yea its galgorm castle. I'm nearby so I'll go round another time and try again.

Not sure if its lit up at night or if they close the gates. I didn't pay much attention to the side of the castle, I'll have a look next time.

Back