First attempts at macro

Edit My Images
Yes
My first experiment with this style the other day. Just followed a Youtube video for settings etc, but still feeling my way into it, not really sure what I'm doing. The watch one seems to work best but I'm not entirely sure if it's the subject, the monochrome, composition or what that makes it work.

Attachments

• 1000007460.jpg
    1000007460.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 1000007464.jpg
    1000007464.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 1000007463.jpg
    1000007463.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 1000007462.jpg
    1000007462.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 1000007461.jpg
    1000007461.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 1000007465.jpg
    1000007465.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 19
There are some great videos on YouTube for macro/close-up photography, but you'll find the majority of them will recommend using a flash and a diffuser of some sort. What camera and lens are you using? Of the shots you've shared I quite like the 3 nuts one, just a shame the hazelnut is out of focus, the side lighting works on it for me.
Edit to add: your hit rate will go down dramatically, it's just one of those things with macro/closeup, but don't let it get to you, we are all there.

Last edited:
Thanks Mex. These were taken with a Nikon D600 using the kit 18-55 mm lens and extender tubes.
Yeah, thought the same about the focus on the hazelnut.

Nice start to macro (gets addictive in my opinion).

As mex states it's about light or lack of typically with macro.

You can try stopping down to a higher F number to increase depth of field but you'll need to add light in from somewhere. If you don't have a flash then you could use things like torches and such to add continuous light. This could sometimes mean you need to use a longer shutter speed and a tripod or something to rest the camera on...I've used DVD boxes and all sorts when messing around with macro.

What software for editing are you using at the moment also? I am not familiar with the camera you are using, but if you have something like affinity or photoshop you could take multiple images, focusing on different areas of the object and then stack them in the software which would mean the final image would all be in focus. So using the nut image, you could focus on each of the nuts, perhaps split the image into qtrs and grab a clean shot of each area then stack them afterwards.

Last edited:
Nice start to macro (gets addictive in my opinion).

As mex states it's about light or lack of typically with macro.

You can try stopping down to a higher F number to increase depth of field but you'll need to add light in from somewhere. If you don't have a flash then you could use things like torches and such to add continuous light. This could sometimes mean you need to use a longer shutter speed and a tripod or something to rest the camera on...I've used DVD boxes and all sorts when messing around with macro.

What software for editing are you using at the moment also? I am not familiar with the camera you are using, but if you have something like affinity or photoshop you could take multiple images, focusing on different areas of the object and then stack them in the software which would mean the final image would all be in focus. So using the nut image, you could focus on each of the nuts, perhaps split the image into qtrs and grab a clean shot of each area then stack them afterwards.
Just using the standard windows photo app at the moment but looking at getting Lightroom set up and trying image stacking.
Have tested and returned four cheap tripods so far, but got a serious Manfrotto MK055XPRO3-BHQ2 arriving today. Used a wee torch for the images shown but also picking up a desk lamp with flexible neck this afternoon.

I'm trying to relearn how to do macro (long story) and agree that being able to add light is essential (pieces of glossy white, silver and card are an easy option to bounce different warmth of light back). I've never used the stacking of multiple photos technique so will have to look into that.

The shallow depth of field can also be used to your advantage though as a creative tool and help give the image a focal point for viewers. The image I've added might not be macro but they're certainly close ups and I've tried to use the shallow depth of field to add interest (forgive the watermark it was taken at a time I made a few quid from photography and thought I needed to mark every picture ).DSC06050.jpg

Just using the standard windows photo app at the moment but looking at getting Lightroom set up and trying image stacking.
Have tested and returned four cheap tripods so far, but got a serious Manfrotto MK055XPRO3-BHQ2 arriving today. Used a wee torch for the images shown but also picking up a desk lamp with flexible neck this afternoon.

If you want a cheap way to do macro you could look at some of the Raynox lens adapters, they do a 150 and 250 one. When I first got into photography around 2009 I had a canon 500d or d500 I forget, with a kit lens and purchased one of these (250 one). It was great and not expensive at all. I know loads of people use them, even on top of their dedicated macro lenses. I believe one was for sale on the forum recently. I gave my old gear to the young lad next door and see him out in the garden still using it...it was a 12.1 mp camera so not hi-tech by modern standards. http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr250/indexdcr250eg.htm

Also, have a look at Affinity for software (some prefer it over the adobe options as its a single time purchase. https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/#buy). I have both, but I do stacking in Affinity as I find it easier to do. You'll find loads of tutorials on youtube regardless of the software you ultimately decide to use.

I love macro, it is great to see small objects in new ways.

Last edited:
If you want a cheap way to do macro you could look at some of the Raynox lens adapters, they do a 150 and 250 one. When I first got into photography around 2009 I had a canon 500d or d500 I forget, with a kit lens and purchased one of these (250 one). It was great and not expensive at all. I know loads of people use them, even on top of their dedicated macro lenses. I believe one was for sale on the forum recently. I gave my old gear to the young lad next door and see him out in the garden still using it...it was a 12.1 mp camera so not hi-tech by modern standards. http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr250/indexdcr250eg.htm

Also, have a look at Affinity for software (some prefer it over the adobe options as its a single time purchase. https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/#buy). I have both, but I do stacking in Affinity as I find it easier to do. You'll find loads of tutorials on youtube regardless of the software you ultimately decide to use.

I love macro, it is great to see small objects in new ways.
Yeah I used Meikle extension tubes for these pics. Will definitely check out Affinity. Thanks

Back