First attempts at street photography

They're just pictures of some writing on walls, nothing more.

Haha, yes, sorry to be harsh, that's just the way I see it :)

First one is a bit bland for me but I do really like the second one and the processing sets off the urban grime feel nicely.

First one is a bit bland for me but I do really like the second one and the processing sets off the urban grime feel nicely.

Thanks, thats what I was aiming for so nice to see its been noticed. Looks like my style of photography hasn't exactly gone down well though with the current feedback :confused:

Think I'll stick to what I'm good at lol.

Critique and feedback most welcome.

But only if it's positive? You either do want critique and feedback or you don't. Don't get disheartened by negative comments. Try and explain what you actually were thinking, and why you shot those shots, then people may be able to understand you better and give a better critique / response.

But only if it's positive? You either do want critique and feedback or you don't. Don't get disheartened by negative comments. Try and explain what you actually were thinking, and why you shot those shots, then people may be able to understand you better and give a better critique / response.

Critique is fine as it allows me to improve. Laughed at in the first post doesn't add anything. I want to refine my skills and branch out into new areas of photography, not get "Haha" with no helpful advice at all...

This is not 'street photography' - street photography is loosely defined as capturing people involved in their environment.

As the two images go they are ok, in focus, vignette works but not 'street' perhaps a little context around what you are trying to achieve ?

This is not 'street photography' - street photography is loosely defined as capturing people involved in their environment.

As the two images go they are ok, in focus, vignette works but not 'street' perhaps a little context around what you are trying to achieve ?

Thanks for the comment. Looks like I probably got the title wrong then if thats the case. I thought that it encompassed more than just people, but guess I was wrong lol.

I'm trying to capture the essence of what its like around where I live. The streets are full of neglected student houses and the processing style is my effort to try and portray this neglect. The first photo is intentionally cold whilst the second is intentionally 'grime/grunge' themed.

Theres no a lot of subjects fit for photography around where I live so I have to get creative when it comes to outdoor photography which isn't wildlife.

Thanks for the comment. Looks like I probably got the title wrong then if thats the case. I thought that it encompassed more than just people, but guess I was wrong lol.

I'm trying to capture the essence of what its like around where I live. The streets are full of neglected student houses and the processing style is my effort to try and portray this neglect. The first photo is intentionally cold whilst the second is intentionally 'grime/grunge' themed.

Theres no a lot of subjects fit for photography around where I live so I have to get creative when it comes to outdoor photography which isn't wildlife.

I'm not criticising your titles in anyway, it's your call. I would suggest though from you you have said your talking 'Urban Decay' ? - That's a great subject don't hold back and shoot street names only. Capture the whole neglect thing warts and all. It's a great subject :) Don'y shy away from your local environment........

Love the second one, so much so i added it to my fav's on flickr ;)

I'm not criticising your titles in anyway, it's your call. I would suggest though from you you have said your talking 'Urban Decay' ? - That's a great subject don't hold back and shoot street names only. Capture the whole neglect thing warts and all. It's a great subject :) Don'y shy away from your local environment........

Thanks guys :)

Nah you are right about the title as it probably doesn't fit the context, especially if its associated with photographs of people during walkabouts, which isn't something I'd entertain. I'll think more on the subject though and wait for the weather to improve as I don't fancy taking my kit out into the rain just yet! (although the lighting would probably suit the theme, decisions... lol)

It looks like you've created a whole new genre James! Wall Photography!

The first one does absolutely nothing for me...however, the second one is a great shot. If you can expand on that it could be very interesting.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

It looks like you've created a whole new genre James! Wall Photography!

The first one does absolutely nothing for me...however, the second one is a great shot. If you can expand on that it could be very interesting.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Lol yeah beginning to look like it, which I'm not sure is a good thing!

The street next to mine can pose some interesting shots if I time things correctly. A severed pigs head was in the middle of the road just over a month ago, but I didn't own my DSLR back then so only got a mobile phone picture which wasn't exactly artistic. (still morbid though!)

nice shots, I like both but the graffiti is gritty and something I would have liked to capture.

I like the second
The first one may work with different processing.
The pigs head is worth having a play with processing to try and make something from it.

I like the second
The first one may work with different processing.
The pigs head is worth having a play with processing to try and make something from it.

Yeah maybe, I'll have a look at it later and see if I can do something with it.

Back