First Bug of 2011

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Saw some small flies on the Snowdrops, so took a few shots.

All on the MPE-65mm.

about 2x Mag at F11.

20110212-_MG_0011.jpg

about 3x Mag at F11.

20110212-_MG_0016.jpg

and 1:1 at F11 to show in context on the snowdrop, unfortunately cropped the wings a bit tight. :bonk:
20110212-_MG_0024.jpg

These are great shots. I've just bought an MPe-65, so keen to get out and about with it. Can't seem to find any insects though!
Are these hand held? How do you get the insects to stay still whilst so close to them? I find you need to be about 50mm away and would expect them to fly off.
Also, Which flash are you using?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm pretty new to macro and need all the help I can get! (y)

Gareth

Last edited:
These are great shots. I've just bought an MPe-65, so keen to get out and about with it. Can't seem to find any insects though!
Are these hand held? How do you get the insects to stay still whilst so close to them? I find you need to be about 50mm away and would expect them to fly off.
Also, Which flash are you using?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm pretty new to macro and need all the help I can get! (y)

Gareth

Gareth, the insects will normally stay still if you approach them slowly and keep out of the sunlight. Another tip is to come in low rather than over the top. If they're busy cleaning then they also may stay around.

Patience and practice are the key, and when spring comes there's normally lots to choose from even if some fly off!

Found these by pure luck when photographing some snowdrops.

I was using the Canon MT-24ex Macro Flash with stofen diffusers. I set this to 1/16th power and shot with it on manual this time instead of using ETTL. I sometimes use that though. You can use other flashes, I'm sure there's a thread on here with various setups.

They are all hand held with AV Mode on Camera at 1/250 sec (ISO 400 in these). The flash being fired has the effect of making the shot quicker and reduces the effect of shake/movement.

Great set Chris, they are dung flies. (y)

Thanks for the Id, wondered what they were.

Fantastic!

Did you need to focus stack these images?

No these are all single shots. The angle on the subject helps give the impression of more depth of field than there actually is at F11. Look closely at the second for example. Only the eye, front of head and near legs are in sharp focus.

Back