First car race meet using 100-400 L

Edit My Images
Yes
Going to a Knockhill British GT Championship on Sunday and to try out my new 100 - 400 L. I've never photographed car racing before so any tips would be much appreciated. Camera is a canon 40D.

I was there today. Same here, never done car racing before.

One thing I have noticed now that I'm home. I wish I had used a pol filter as there was quite a bit of glare and reflection on the windscreen. Never thought at the time, could kick myself as I had one in my bag.

Ah! pity, Ive just spent nearly 800 quid on a lens this week and 77 mm circular polarizers don't come cheap either, I'll need to wait a couple more weeks before purchasing one of these :thinking:

Oh, and take a packed lunch! Grub is a fortune.

and put the money towards a filter!

lol

I've got the same lens in question and in the "right" light it's a superb bit of kit, however, set the focal length at 350mm to start with or lower...not too sure how far you will be from the track?, set camera to A1 servo and shutter priority (although others will suggest AV...personal choice) even with IS on at mode 2 select a decent shutter speed dependant on focal length ie. at 300mm TV at 300 or above and you should get some good results at first attempt. PS don't forget to bump up the ISO if weather conditions are poor as this can gain you extra F stops!...Look forward to seeing some photo's!

Kind regards
Tim
PPS..practice panning technique!

Would the monopod help or would it hinder the IS ? I know IS should be switched off on a tripod but does that go for a monopod too. Or do you think carrying the monopod is just extra unneeded luggage cos I want to travel as light as possible.

I have picked this one to show you. Taken with a 70-200mm and a 2x converter so it was F5.6 and 1/800sec. You can also see the reflection on the screen.

14_at_800.jpg

I see what you mean, I think I'm going to slink through to the living room, snuggle up to the missus then sneakily mention I need to buy a CP tomorrow....Yes I know I'm a crapper:LOL:

Would the monopod help or would it hinder the IS ? I know IS should be switched off on a tripod but does that go for a monopod too. Or do you think carrying the monopod is just extra unneeded luggage cos I want to travel as light as possible.

Earlier versions of Canon IS shouldn't be enabled on a tripod, but later versions, which you'll have if it's a new lens, can be used on a tripod or monopod. The vast majority of my shots are taken from a tripod and I never switch IS off.

Earlier versions of Canon IS shouldn't be enabled on a tripod, but later versions, which you'll have if it's a new lens, can be used on a tripod or monopod. The vast majority of my shots are taken from a tripod and I never switch IS off.

I'm under the impression that the 100-400 has the older version of IS and even on new lenses of this model it hasn't been updated....hope I'm wrong though as mines only 10 months old!

Even if that's the case Tim, I'd assume you're usually panning with your camera on the tripod, or at least have both hands on the camera, in which case, even on the tripod, the IS system will detect enough movement through your hands to operate just fine. Using the camera on the tripod with the head completely locked off, where no movement at all is detected, would cause problems with earlier IS versions.

My 100-400L is around 3 years old and I use it a lot on the tripod -usually with a gimbal head - with no problems at all.

One thing I have noticed now that I'm home. I wish I had used a pol filter as there was quite a bit of glare and reflection on the windscreen.

Never shot track so I could be wrong here but I'm not sure that a polariser would have helped that much.

You'll lose a couple of stops which won't help autofocus. Also, the position of the car relative to the light is constantly changing meaning you're spending a lot of time trying to adjust it.

Just thinking of the time I tried one at a rally :shrug:

Never shot track so I could be wrong here but I'm not sure that a polariser would have helped that much.

You'll lose a couple of stops which won't help autofocus. Also, the position of the car relative to the light is constantly changing meaning you're spending a lot of time trying to adjust it.

Just thinking of the time I tried one at a rally :shrug:

Was thinking about the light problem myself and as a beginner and still getting used to the lens at this I want this as easy as possible.

Back