First car shot

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first attempt.

The original had an unpleasing background due to low aperture.
I tried selecting the car out and applying motion blur to the background but it left a dark halo around the car so had to manually apply blur with a brush which hasn't quite worked.

Looking for ideas (apart from selecting the correct darn aperture!)

I love the shot but can't help thinking I've ruined it :icon_redf (but of course I saved the RAW file) ;)

IMG_5950-01.jpg

lol i assume its driving like that and not about to fall over,

when you select the car, how are you doing it?

I'm not sure you've ruined it at all mate. Motion blurring the background is never going to look right because the ground is sharp. As it is, it looks like a relatively slow stunt driver taken at a large aperture. The only thing you need to be careful of when blurring backgrounds like that is to be careful of sudden departures from sharp to OOF as obviously this should be progressive. I'd guess you used the bottom of the hay bales as your line for blurring? This isn't generally a good idea but you get away with it reasonably well here. The ideal way to do this is to apply gradually increasing amounts of blur into the distance avoiding any obvious banding which can be tricky.

I think the blurring is acceptable here though and I probably wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it.;)

It probably just needs a slight amont of blurring to the tyres- otherwise I'd leave well alone. :)

This one was only going very slow at this point so not really a 'panning' candidate.

I used AI servo mode (with C.Fn4.1 enabled (turns the AE button into a focus button) then panned the subject.

looking again the main subject is in focus and background is out enough to distinguish the 2, its not too bad given that there is such a large crowd

I think you've done a very good job here.
One tiny detail might be the whip aerial on the car roof.
It is sharp near the base but becomes blurred as it merges with the crowd.
Told you it was a tiny detail.

If you want more practice at this type of shot just follow my wife when she's driving. :driving:

Garnock said:
If you want more practice at this type of shot just follow my wife when she's driving. :driving:
:LOL:

That was my wife driving!
I've told her and told her to evenly distribute the Asda bags in the boot but she just won't listen!

Got to go with the womans logic :stir: At least it saves on tyres! ;)

Back