first damselfly

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
got a few of these but having a bit of trouble focusing .. whilst looking through the viewfinder all looks great but having trouble focusing on the hole subject not just bits .. any tips chaps

img8799t.jpg

img8797t.jpg

img8780v.jpg

nice one mate just learning at the mo so all comments a help.. just to get this right my lens goes down to f5 so go down to that not up to say f11

Last edited:
nice one mate just learning at the mo so all comments a help.. just to get this right my lens goes down to f5 so go down to that not up to say f11

It's slightly confusing but stopping down would be taking it to f11 and vice versa. It will give you more depth of field giving you better subject detail. Im no expert but I,m sure there will be some tutorials on this site that would explain it better than I could.

(y)

Hey Ian, as mentioned elsewhere, very good attempts.

Photography is a bit backwards :)

Make the aperture Larger by going for a smaller number
Make the aperture smaller, by going for a larger number :D

So when stopping down, you go for the larger number. F11, is my favourite aperture for macro. Gives me the right amount of DoF and allows for a lot more of the subject to be in focus.

If my memory serves me right you're using a kit lens with ext. tubes? If so, try shooting at 18mm with the tubes on. I could have swore this gave more magnification (again, the back to front thing of photography). Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong. I never really used tubes on the kit lens apart from to test something out a while back :)

Incidentally, as your name is Ian, I hope you realise you have a rather large expectation upon your shoulders!. you have to find and photograph a Dragonfly :D hehe

Have a look through the posts here. 3 of us called Ian have all posted Dragons :).

Last edited:
thanks adam for your comments mate took on board

and thanks Ian for your helpful posts on both boards ian .. as for lenses ian i just ordered some tubes not come yet but i have been using a sigma 70-300 and the bog stranded 18-55 lens with a raynox 250 which i am not that impressed with it was hoping for so much more from it i have a zeikos 52 ml attachment for wide angle -macro that i got with the camera that i think is just as good as the raynox tbh ..

as for dragonfly saw one fly by but it buggered off so next time your going give us a bell and see what comes of our shots lol

Will do mate :)

Back