First DSLR - should I buy body only?

Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I have limited photography experience, basically none actually, just a compact digital stuff, although I do use manual setting and adjust ISO, brightness, etc... but still just point and click really.

I seen the Canon EOS 450 which I like the look of and the price.

Do you think I should buy the body only, and spend a bit more on a better lens, etc, one that can do more than 18-55?

THanks

Hi you can get very good results with the kit lens, I still use my 18-55 EF-S, i think the 450 comes with the IS:thinking: which would be better to sell on if you need to upgrade.

Regards Mark,

it is the IS lens photo plus gives it 90% best value award have a look here at some packages.

Hi, and welcome :wave:
You're in the right place for good advice!!!

The 450D is I'm sure a fine choice for you.The kit lens would be ok for a beginner. it would get you started in the DSLR world, but you'd probably want a nicer lens sooner or later.
My advice, for what it's worth......
Would be to go for the kit, get used the camera. Settings, feel etc. Get snapping!!!
Then when your ready, go for the lens upgrade.
Normally the kit lens is just a little extra, so if this is the case then go for it.
If it's like £100 or so extra for the kit, maybe think about adding a little more £ to get a decent lens and the body only option.

That's what I'd do.
I'm not saying it's right or wrong...... ;)

Personally, get the kit. You'd be surprised how nice the pictures you can get out of a 'kit' lens. You'll know when you'll want more eventually down the road.

I'd go for the kit ens every time (especially as a newbie without any other lenses). It's not that bad and with the IS is a significant improvement on the old 18-55. It's also a very usable range: the 18mm gives a bit of wide angle and the 55mm is ideal for portraits but the zoom makes it a good everyday. When you've had it a bit, you'll know what features you want (wider angle, more length, faster glass, macro etc.) and can buy another lens to do that better.

I've kept my kit lens in the bag only because its now my widest angle lens, so occaisionally its useful.

Thanks everyone. Could anyone tell me what IS means in terms of the lens?

Also, is EF-S the type of fitting?

And one more stupid question, 18-55mm - is 18 quite far away in terms of focus, and 55mm to zoom right in? So if you had a lens which had 300mm on it, it could zoom in really closely?

End of silly basic questions.

Thanks everyone. Could anyone tell me what IS means in terms of the lens?

Also, is EF-S the type of fitting?

And one more stupid question, 18-55mm - is 18 quite far away in terms of focus, and 55mm to zoom right in? So if you had a lens which had 300mm on it, it could zoom in really closely?

End of silly basic questions.

No such thing as a silly question mate. Only silly answers :D

IS = Image Stabilizer.
That's Canon's term.
With Nikon it's VR. Vibration Reduction.
Sony is Super Steady Shot. Not sure about Olympus or Pentax.

You are pretty much right with the mm question. The 18mm end is wide, 55mm is zoomed in. The lower the number, the wider it is. So 18mm is pretty wide. You can get 10mm, and even 8mm lens, which are VERY wide!!!

Likewise the other end of the scale. 300mm is zoomed in pretty close.
The BIGGER this number the more zoomed in, or closer the subject will be.
A typical or average zoom lens would be 70-300mm or 70-200mm.

Hi redrabbit,

Firstly welcome to the forums :)

I bought the 450D with the 18-55mm IS kit lens a few weeks ago.
I was a bit doubtful at first as a few people told me that the one supplied with the 400D does tend to produce softer pictures.
However, I find it's not too bad at all and I do tend to use it quite a lot.
When I bought mine, for another £80 Jessops also did a bundle of a 4gb card and a Tamron 70-300mm lens and I think this deal is still available.
For the extra £80 it's a very good deal but as the Tamron isn't an IS lens, I find it's best used with a tripod.
I tend to find I use the kit lens quite a lot when I am out when I don't want to use the tripod.
As a newbie to DSLR's myself, I think the the 450D and kit lens is a great first time purchase.

If it were me i'd buy the body and a second hand 50mm F/1.8, the kit lens comes up quite often at £30ish on here, what's the price difference new with and without kit lens.

The kit lenses are a great all-rounder and will allow you to see what your photography progresses into e.g. landscape, portrait, sport ect. Once you realise what it is your into shooting then you can get into more suited lenses. HTH

Thanks everyone - really useful.

I really enjoy taking pictures of skylines and things like landscapes too, especially lit up buildings as well.

What sort of range in mm does a typical compact camera provide?

I got my 450D yesterday with the kit lenes. Been to colchester castle today with it and had a really good day with it(my first DSLR). I did have a look at the Sigma 18-200 DC OS today as a good walk about do it all lenes that i'm tempted by.

Thanks everyone - really useful.

I really enjoy taking pictures of skylines and things like landscapes too, especially lit up buildings as well.

What sort of range in mm does a typical compact camera provide?

Alot of compacts have a range in the order of 35-105mm (equivalent, as the actual lens will be alot smaller than this). You've probably seen Panasonic and a few other manufacturers offering 28mm (or 25mm equivalent) lenses - basically what they're offering is a wider angle lens on the compacts that standard.

For skylines and landscapes, you'll probably want to use the lens at the wider settings and possibly look into getting a tripod too as an essential, especially if you want to shoot in the evenings or low light.

I was considering buying the 450D body only at one point, but you're really unlikely to find a similar range lens with IS for the extra cost of the kit anywhere, so you might as well go for it, and sell it later if you upgrade. The Canon 55-250mm IS comes highly recommended if you want anything longer, and compliments the kit lens well (doesn't leave any gaps in the focal distances)

Chris

the new 18-55 is lens is apparantly very good for the money
I would say, get the kit lens and a decent card (SD isn't it on the 450D)
go online and don't skimp, sandisk ultras are good it think
then spend that extra lens money on the 50mm 1.8 2nd hand is fine
and then get a zoom for long distance fun. the 90-300 is okay, the sigma 70-300 APO is very well received. but if you can manage IS in the 70-300mm IS it is so worth it I think

the spending never stops though...prime lenses, drool over L glass, flashguns, tripod, a decent bag....etc....welcome to the world of DSLR's

Back