First DSLR...

Name
Connor Brown
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone. I have had a keen interest in photography for a few years now. I've been using a bridge camera and my phone as that's all I have had. I've always wanted to get a DSLR to take things to the next level. I'm now looking at getting my first one. I have been looking at the Nikon D5600 and the Canon EOS 250D. Would anyone recommend any of these? Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I feel it's a big decision to make and don't want to end up regretting things. Thanks in advance.

Hi Connor and welcome to TP

Ah! the world of interchangeable lens cameras.........!

IMO your question is too simplistic, by that I mean it is not just/only about the make & model number of the dSLR.

Please tell 'us' what type of subjects you like to photograph e.g. macro, still life, street scenes, architecture, landscapes, wildlife, aviation....etc

Plus what is your total budget including any lenses that would be suggested, based on your feedback to the above question?

Photography is a journey ;)

Please tell 'us' what type of subjects you like to photograph e.g. macro, still life, street scenes, architecture, landscapes, wildlife, aviation....etc

Don't bamboozle the poor chap already. He might not know until he actually starts using a better camera which way he is going to go. That would seem entirely reasonable to me.

Both will do you Connor.

Usual advice is to go out and try them, as it’s completely personal preference to the ergonomics That’s out the window at the moment, so just pick one.
There are no bad cameras, so coming in as a compete beginner you have no benchmark or preferences that might sway a decision.

Don't bamboozle the poor chap already. He might not know until he actually starts using a better camera which way he is going to go. That would seem entirely reasonable to me.

Both will do you Connor.

But he does say this....
"Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I feel it's a big decision to make and don't want to end up regretting things."

So any make & model will "do" but do what with which lens(es) to photograph what subjects. It is all too easy to spend other folks money but harder to help & give advice without having some context as what the questioner wishes to do with the camera there IMO can be no useful answer(s) ;)

If I were you I would go on eBay and buy the cheapest DSRL with a kit lens, like a D3100. When you get to grips with photography you will know the limitations of the camera and know where you want to go with your photography, a good camera for street isn't necessarily a good camera for wildlife.

Connor, personally I'd go mirrorless as it has advantages over DSLR technology. It might be worth reading up on mirrorless cameras before jumping for a DSLR as the only advantage I can think of for DSLR's is that there are some really cheap camera and lens bundles available. I do think it's worth a bit of time reading up on mirrorless and then at least checking the prices and if you still want a DSLR you'll be getting one knowing you've chosen after being well informed.

When I was first starting out I bought an entry level DSLR, this was against people telling me to go for a used few levels up above an entry level camera. If it was me starting off now, knowing what I know now, and having used DSLR's and Compact cameras, I would probably not go for a DSLR, as they are too clunky and the ergonomics are not the best.

Yes my entry level DSLR does take good quality images, but it feels like carting about a little slab or wedge, around the streets. The focus points on the entry level DSLR is also a bit limiting, at least on my D3300 they are, as there are only eleven, and they are right in the centre of the frame.

If I had a choice now, I would go mirrorless. Probably something like a used Fujifilm X-E3. Only problem is, the lenses are so expensive.

I also wouldn't be choosing a DSLR over a mirror less camera these days. Especially if you don't know why you want a DSLR.

Mirrorless has many advantages are great for beginners such as seeing what your image will look like live, better auto focus, and generally smaller cameras.

Good morning!

Thank you all for your replies. I have looked into mirrorless cameras in the past but maybe I need to do a bit more research.

I like to take seascapes and landscapes mostly at dawn and dusk. However, my favourite place to take pictures is the Port of Felixstowe particularly across the water at night. The light reflecting in the water is pretty awesome.

I have a budget of around £600 to get me started. I may be able to stretch a little further but not much.

The optical viewfinder and wide range of lenses that are available (especially second hand) are what steered me towards DSLRs.

I hope that I've been specific enough to narrow down the options!

I'll explore all your suggestions particularly mirrorless cameras a little more.

Thank you all again for your help.

OK, if that's what you want *considering your budget* then I'll go out on a limb and suggest something like a Nikon D610, D750 or even D800. Pair that with a 50 F1.8 AF-D and an old plastic fantastic 28-80 or 28-100. All kit will be used, but if you're going DSLR there's no advantage in new - buy from LCE for a 6 month warranty.

It's all decent kit - the lenses aren't the best, but they are capable of excellent image quality and the full frame sensors will give super detail and dynamic range.

*edit* I just checked used prices - you'll get a D610 or well used D800 + lens in your budget, but not a D750 - they're probably still too popular with wedding photographers. Check out usedlens.co.uk for camera and lens prices. The site is run by Dan Cook from TP.

Last edited:
OK, if that's what you want *considering your budget* then I'll go out on a limb and suggest something like a Nikon D610, D750 or even D800. Pair that with a 50 F1.8 AF-D and an old plastic fantastic 28-80 or 28-100. All kit will be used, but if you're going DSLR there's no advantage in new - buy from LCE for a 6 month warranty.

It's all decent kit - the lenses aren't the best, but they are capable of excellent image quality and the full frame sensors will give super detail and dynamic range.

*edit* I just checked used prices - you'll get a D610 or well used D800 + lens in your budget, but not a D750 - they're probably still too popular with wedding photographers. Check out usedlens.co.uk for camera and lens prices. The site is run by Dan Cook from TP.

Hi, sorry to take so long to reply.

Thanks a lot for your help and taking the time to check that for me. I will most definitely be looking into that. I didn't think with my budget that I'd manage to stretch to anything with a full frame sensor so that is a pleasant surprise. I'll be sure to check that website too.

Thanks again!

Just remember Nikon is not the only 'choice', a Canon 6D AFAIK can be gotten for around £4-500 for the the body and this is full frame. Not an ideal choice for wildlife but landscape, portraiture, architecture, interiors......etc was it's area of usage when new.

Why mention Canon......well ideally if/when you can try to get to a store to handle both makes & models because that can give you a better impression of "how a camera feels when held" and it is best IMO not to buy one until you have held and explored the control positions/positioning.

Best of luck in finding what suits your pocket and your aspirations :)

Just remember Nikon is not the only 'choice', a Canon 6D AFAIK can be gotten for around £4-500 for the the body and this is full frame. Not an ideal choice for wildlife but landscape, portraiture, architecture, interiors......etc was it's area of usage when new.

Why mention Canon......well ideally if/when you can try to get to a store to handle both makes & models because that can give you a better impression of "how a camera feels when held" and it is best IMO not to buy one until you have held and explored the control positions/positioning.

Best of luck in finding what suits your pocket and your aspirations :)

And that's great advice too - I don't know Canon kit, but I did own a D610 before the Sony A7III.

Hi, sorry to take so long to reply.

Thanks a lot for your help and taking the time to check that for me. I will most definitely be looking into that. I didn't think with my budget that I'd manage to stretch to anything with a full frame sensor so that is a pleasant surprise. I'll be sure to check that website too.

Thanks again!

DSLR stuff is becoming a cheap option except where it's current (like the D750, still a professional tool for wedding togs). You may not even need to buy used if you go grey: https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/1797/nikon_d610_digital_slr_camera_body_only_black Biggest weakness of the D610 is the focussing is a bit crap in very low light, but the sensor is great, and it's a good all-round camera that offers incredible value now.

Lenses too are quite a bit cheaper for 'old tech' DSLRs than newer mirrorless, and although image quality of the new lenses is generally quite a bit better, the older stuff is still quite acceptable. And the D610 can take and function with older manual focus AI-S lenses as well as AF lenses.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies. Happy New Year to you all. I really appreciate your advice. As suggested I think I am going to wait until I can get to a shop to see what I feel most comfortable with. Due to the way things are at the moment that may be some time! I'll let you know when I've made a decision. Thank you all again.

I have been looking at the Nikon D5600 and the Canon EOS 250D. Would anyone recommend any of these?

Although it can't be done at the moment due to lockdown, wait for the shops to reopen and go and hold both bodies.
The ergonomics vary and you might find one is more comfortable than the other.
Something else worth looking at as well is the menu systems as they also differ and you might find one more user friendly than the other.
For me a menu system I could quickly understand without carrying around the manual was important.
I'm a Canon user and while there is sometimes something new in the menu, the basics have all been more or less in the same settings and I expect Nikon do something similar.

Last edited:
Back