First DSLR

Name
Garry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, am new to this site although i have been looking around for a little while.

Have been looking at various models and have reduced my choice (i think) to either Nikon D60, Canon 450D or with sufficient marital begging a Nikon D80.

All seem to have their pros and cons.

My main photo subject is airshows so fast AF seems a logical priority which is something the D60 apparently is not good at.

I really like the look of the D80 - does it matter that its nearing its end of life?

Your advice/opinions on these would be appreciated because i seem to be going round in circles.

[PS i have not as yet been to a shop for "play" with any of them]

Thanks

Garry

Well go have a play.

Feel and comfort is a priority.
All can take good pictures you make them great.

If you can hide it from the wife I'd get the D80, it will go for years and may well end up as a backup when you upgrade a body in the future.

Oh and welcome fellow Lincs person.

What part?

I bought my D50 in September 2006, I knew it was getting discounted but I went ahead anyway.

There will always be models coming and going but whatever you buy now will be the one you will stick with as chopping and changing a DSLR is not for the impatient.

I would go and look at some models, I was swayed to Nikon just because that is what I percieved as the best camera brand out there at the time.

I knew very little then and not a lot has changed! about the competitors brands and what they could do.

You will get a mixed response on here I am sure but Nikon gets my vote

Cheers for the reply.
Yes i'm really gonna have to venture to the shops i think, although of the 3 the D80 is a personal favorite. Guess my concern with that one is that its 2 years old now, and due for replacement, but i suppose at least its tried and tested.

Oh, and i'm from South Lincs (the boring flat bit).

Hi, Welcome to the foum.

My only comment is get what feels right to you. I bought a 40D last year and now its being replaced already, what ever you buy won;t be the latest in a year. Gte what feels right and what suits your budget.

Rob

I had the same choice a year ago and opted for the D80. I can honestly say that the only thing that might tempt me away from it is Liveview and/or a FF sensor in the future, but it's good for a few more years yet.....Go have a play...

Cheers for the reply.
Yes i'm really gonna have to venture to the shops i think, although of the 3 the D80 is a personal favorite. Guess my concern with that one is that its 2 years old now, and due for replacement, but i suppose at least its tried and tested.

Oh, and i'm from South Lincs (the boring flat bit).

I'm in the flat bit as well. Spalding.

i don't find it boring though.

My main photo subject is airshows
Get the Canon.

Whilst all the cameras have their pros and cons, there is no question that Canon offers a much better line-up of lenses for aircraft photographers. There are three in particular for which Nikon has no equivalent:
* EF 300mm f/4 L IS (Nikon's AF-S 300mm f/4 doesn't have IS/VR)
* EF 400mm f/5.6 L (Nikon just have nothing at all like this)
* EF 100-400mm L IS (Nikon's AF 80-400mm VR is really slow and clunky by comparison)

Get the Canon.

Whilst all the cameras have their pros and cons, there is no question that Canon offers a much better line-up of lenses for aircraft photographers. There are three in particular for which Nikon has no equivalent:
* EF 300mm f/4 L IS (Nikon's AF-S 300mm f/4 doesn't have IS/VR)
* EF 400mm f/5.6 L (Nikon just have nothing at all like this)
* EF 100-400mm L IS (Nikon's AF 80-400mm VR is really slow and clunky by comparison)

Although I agree with your sentiment, if the OP is having an issue spending a bit more on the body, the range of lenses you point to are going to cause excess maritial disharmony.

Good luck with your decision - make the decision with the future in mind because once you start buying lenses you are going to find it really difficult to move brands.

Chris

I'd go for the Nikon D80 if you can stretch that far. As far as lenses are concerned Nikon probably have the edge with optical performance and I can highly recommend the 300mm f4. Although this lens isn't VR (which I think is a little over rated) it packs a superb image quality which is in the league of the 300mm f2.8.

Stay well clear of the Nikon 80-400mm, its pretty poor in low light conditions.

Get a taste for Nikon, its the future ;)

Mark

I've been using a D80 for over a year now and I don't see me upgrading anytime soon. Sure, I'd like less noise at higher ISO's, but I tend to be able to push the D80 to 800 with acceptable results.

But I agree with Robbie, the D60 or 450D may feel better in your hands.

I'm a Nikon shooter for life, but Canon make great cameras and lenses too. I don't think you'd be going wrong with either.

Although it looks like the D90 is going to be released either tonight or tomorrow.

Blapto where did you hear this ??

The release of the D90 should be good news for the OP since it will probably mean end-of-line reductions in the D80's price.

Back