First ever animal shots,

Name
John Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, Im really new to photography, started just after Christmas, I'm only using a Lumix-DMC FS62 so don't expect anything to brilliant.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

295zpdf.jpg

dqlszt.jpg

2lxch6u.jpg

2hqgj1t.jpg

Thanks for looking,

lovley looking cat.........image 1 is my favourite, the others all have been ruined with to much flash thats causing over exposure on the cats face.

Darren

I thought that myself, I was just too dark for no flash, I tried turning my ISO down but there was no source of natural lighting,

Number 1 is the best of the bunch, but I think 2 would have pipped it to the post if the moggy hadn't walked towards you and lost the focus from its face, it's always happening to me when I try to photograph my dogs.

I think B & W was a good choice, and I think they would have been less interesting if they were in colour.

Don't loose heart, don't be afraid to ask questions, and welcome to TP.
Have a look in the Animal & Nature duffers thread and you'll see that people who have been doing this for years are easily capable of producing much worse.

Number 1 is the best of the bunch, but I think 2 would have pipped it to the post if the moggy hadn't walked towards you and lost the focus from its face, it's always happening to me when I try to photograph my dogs.

I think B & W was a good choice, and I think they would have been less interesting if they were in colour.

Don't loose heart, don't be afraid to ask questions, and welcome to TP.
Have a look in the Animal & Nature duffers thread and you'll see that people who have been doing this for years are easily capable of producing much worse.

Thanks mate, I'll be investing in a better camera soon so should be producing higher quality stuff, gonna get out tomorrow and take a few shots so they should be on late tomorrow,

Practice, practice, practice, its the only way any of us improve :)

I'm only using a Lumix-DMC FS62 so don't expect anything to brilliant.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Don't blame the camera. And don't blame yourself either. Its a fine camera and its capable of producing some really good results. Get to know it first before you go out and think of buying more gear. (Well buy more gear if you want to; I'm not in charge of your bank balance)

These shots show some good ideas. With animals its always best to try and get down to eye level. You've chosen one of the most difficult things to shoot - a moving cat in the dark in the snow. For sure they're mostly out of focus and the flash has blown its face in all but the 1st one.

What you need to do is use the camera in a variety of different situations - light, dark, people, places, sun, cloud, close, far, red, blue .... and work out what you're good at and what the camera's good at.

But, please, please don't think better camera = better shots. Sometimes it does; sometimes it doesn't. Get to know what you've got and then you'll know why you need (want) a different camera.

Keep at it, because you seem to have a good eye. Just try something else.

I thought that myself, I was just too dark for no flash, I tried turning my ISO down but there was no source of natural lighting,

if you wanted more exposure you need to turn your iso up, not down ,no flash.(y)hth mike

Back