First ever SLR (will be Digital)

Edit My Images
No
Ok,

I have never owned an SLR before and am only just learning (from your excellent glossary) about f stop's and the like.

I would imagine a camera with a lot of pre-set scene modes might be handy to get that instant gratification i get from my compact. However i am no dullard and will pick up the techie basics quite quickly (with a bit of help here and there).

I am not bothered about Cannon v Nikon arguments. What I need to know is what things I should be looking for.

Equally i don't have bags of cash to throw around so a good body and lens starter kit will be ideal. Which cameras give you the opportunity to buy lower costs accessories etc? For example if I bought a minolta would I HAVE to buy minolta lenses... naaht a meen.

Any advice will be great.
Thanks,
James.

Well best value for money has to be the s/h route with a Canon 300D with kit lens. The Nikon D70 kit lens is better, but s/h prices are higher. I started that route & couldn't complain. The kit lens will get you started & then you need to explore the areas you want to concentrate on. If it's sports, you need a fast zoom lens. For portraits you get the bargain of the century with the 50mm f/1.8 lens.

Good thing with the 300D S/H is you will lose very little if you sell again, as they already have bottomed out circa £300.

If you can afford a bit more I would recommend a s/h Nikon D70 with 18-70mm kit lens. I went this route as the lens really is excellent. Look at around £400 mark s/h

If you want to spend more than this, then you end up with the debate over Canon 350D vs Nikon D50 or D70s....... I won't go into that debate ;) ...lets say they are all cracking cameras although I would still argue the Nikon 18-70mm kit lens (if you can get it) is far superior than Canon kit lens.

Can't comment on other makes.

I'm about to sell my 300D with kit lens. Will be sticking it on eBay with a starting bid of £250 once I have my new 'walkabout' lens (Sigma 18-50mm F2.8).

I have sent it back for repair twice, though. However it is now in full working order and I haven't used it since I got it back. Just letting you know so it's not a secret.

cheers fingerz.. pm me a link when you stick it up.

JamPal said:
Thanks DJW:

I have struggled to find anywhere selling S/H 300D will keep looking.

Alternative then would be to keep saving for a kit like this then, I bet the price will come down a bit further on these yet too :

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/113814/art/nikon/d50-black-af-s-dx-18-55-m.html

How would you rate that against it's alternatives?
That price seems pretty good for what you get.

Dont bet too much on that price adjusting - the D50 has only recently been released, and with xmas on the horizon, stock levels are the only things likely to be going down.:(

I would read a few reviews of the cameras that you are interested in the get around a few camera shops and hand hold a some of the models on your shortlist and see which ones you like the layout, size, weight, etc.
When you find the one for you begin saving, I would try to avoid compromising by getting the cheapest one out there for the simple reason of saitifaction later on. Find the one you like most and then save towards it.

Good Luck:)

JamPal,

I was originally looking at getting a 300D but preferred the weight and feel of the D70. I thought the 300D was a bit too plasticy for my liking, IMHO. Good camera though.

Would defo recommend going to your local camera shop and handling all your choices before parting with your wonga.

Not sure if they is any D70 (not D70s) clearance kit out there but it might be worth looking into.... But them I am biased since I haev got one. :)

Have a look at the following cameras...not posted in any order.

Canon 300D (secondhand)
Canon 10D (secondhand)
Canon 350D - probably will have to be new
Nikon D50 - probably will have to be new
Nikon D70 - may find one secondhand if lucky

Also the Canon 20D with the current rebates may just be worth the extra.

All the above should be on your "to view" list just so that you can inform yourself of what is available at what cost. An informed decision is a good decision. ;)

The first thing you should consider is the feel of the camera and how well you can access the controls for ease of use. All of the above are very capable cameras and will serve a beginer to intermediate/pro very well quality wise.

With regards to lenses...although the Nikon KIT lens is better than the Canon KIT lens I can assure you that you are very likely to change/add that in the future so again don't hold that too close to your heart. Again here, both kit lenses will provide better quality that you are used to and only your quest for better ranges and specific needs will make you look at alternatives when you develop. Remember that Sigma do a great budget range of glass that will fit any of the above but have a look at the complete ranges of glass available from both Nkon and Canon to gauge what each offers and the prices..once you buy into a manufacturer you are stuck there.

Hope that helps

One last think if you would like to read an detailed view of the 300D vrs 10D, I wrote one when it was first released and aimed it not so much at the technical side of them but at the performance and ease of use from the view of a everyday user. It can be viewed here

Nice work Steve thanks, Very helpful advice form every one.

Great forum chaps. :thumb:

Cheers,
James.

Back