First foray into moving subjects!

Edit My Images
Yes
And I'm not all that good with stationary ones :eek:

Thought I'd try the new cam out on some moving subjects just to see how it likes it ... or not.
Got the usual mountain of utter tripe and managed a few reasonable efforts.
These were plucked at random from the better half of the total.

mx1.jpg

Michael Rutter made an un-scheduled visit to test the new Kwak engine . Which was nice.
mr2.jpg

mr1.jpg

AM2.jpg

I know they're not that good so pull them apart at will.

:nuts:

Don't knock yourself. The two road bike shots are very good indeed. The aston is probably a little bit small in the frame, might benefit from a crop. The motox shot could probably also do with a bit of a crop but the biggest problem with it is that the bike and rider don't look sharp to me. You can actually get off with surprisingly high shutter speeds and still show motion with motox. 1/500 and even quicker will help.

Cheers.

the motox one has been cropped a bit.
That was one of only 3 pics I took of them so not a bad ratio I don't think.
More luck than judgement obviously. :LOL:

Having spent far too long working on those old Aston heaps I try not to get too close these days in case the rash re-appears. :puke:
I wasn't sure if looked OK with a bit of space around it rather than a tight crop.

There is this one but the AM is spoiling a perfectly good(?) pic of an Anglia :LOL:
AM1.jpg

Faster seems to be the way to go for the flying bikes. I think you should try slower for the stuff that stays on the floor. I little more bravery with the shutter speeds might cut your hit rate (for a while) but a little more pan blur would improve the shots though.

Love the colour of the bike too. :D

Don't knock yourself. The two road bike shots are very good indeed.
The aston is probably a little bit small in the frame, might benefit from a crop. The motox shot could probably also do with a bit of a crop but the biggest problem with it is that the bike and rider don't look sharp to me. You can actually get off with surprisingly high shutter speeds and still show motion with motox. 1/500 and even quicker will help.

Excuse me being pedantic, that road bike is 200mph racing bike, I would also slightly disagree about the shutter speed, where that shot was taken 500th would be way to high to show movement.

Excuse me being pedantic, that road bike is 200mph racing bike, I would also slightly disagree about the shutter speed, where that shot was taken 500th would be way to high to show movement.

Be pedantic all you like :p

If you're speaking about the shutter speed with the road bikes I'd agree, 1/500 would be too quick.

If it's the motocross then the "rules" are different. You can see wheel motion in a motocross shot right up to 1/800th, maybe 1/1000 at times. 1/500 is not too quick. If you look through some of the motox mags you'll find a lot of the shots taken show neither wheel nor panning motion, it's a different style to road bike photography. The one above is pretty much coming head on anyway so any motion is simply going to show as subject blur which spoils the shot.

Just had a look at your galleries, nice stuff :)

I realised you meant 'road bike' as opposed to 'dirt bike' ;-)

The road bike shots were certainly on the safe side regards shutter speed.
Those were between 250 & 400th. So room to manouevre there.

And the motox one was at 125th so same again.
Never shot motox before and only had two laps to get anything at all.

Although the day was spent just playing around with settings etc.. and trying to get a handle on the camera itself and seeing what it will do and what it won't.
I had to rely on the autofocus a fair amount as well unfortunately.

Anyway, thanks for the comments & keep them coming. (y)

Daz, I thought you'd like the green bike/green kerb/grass scenario :LOL:

Be pedantic all you like :p

If you're speaking about the shutter speed with the road bikes I'd agree, 1/500 would be too quick.

If it's the motocross then the "rules" are different. You can see wheel motion in a motocross shot right up to 1/800th, maybe 1/1000 at times. 1/500 is not too quick. If you look through some of the motox mags you'll find a lot of the shots taken show neither wheel nor panning motion, it's a different style to road bike photography. The one above is pretty much coming head on anyway so any motion is simply going to show as subject blur which spoils the shot.

Just had a look at your galleries, nice stuff :)

Can really argue about MX stuff only done one, never again !!! three weeks cleaning my gear :puke::puke:

gtc0375avo3.jpg

Hope you dont mind Ratty, this is one of mine from Mallory Yesterday, I think I was stood right behind you near the hairpin ?

Can really argue about MX stuff only done one, never again !!! three weeks cleaning my gear :puke::puke:

better not let you see my stuff then :LOL:

I think I was stood right behind you near the hairpin ?
Quite probably. There were a few there yesterday. I'm thinking you weren't the chap I was talking to for a while then?

That pic was taken from t'other side of circuit?

There was a guy sat pocking lens through the fence, was that you ??

Well it seems that practice doesn't help much :LOL:

Here's a couple from the last visit.

duc2.jpg

mx2.jpg

anothr day experimenting with settings. Went a bit too low on shutter speed for my own good a lot of the time. But it's all a learning curve.

Back