First go at developing and scanning

simon ess

Just call me Roxanne.
Edit My Images
No
These are the very first photos I've developed myself. It's only my second ever roll of film so still getting to know the camera etc.

I'm realy pleased with them though. Just need to take better pictures :)

Nikon F80, Ilford HP5 Plus, Aculux developer. Epson V500 scanner.

I have to say, they look much better printed than on screen.

Looking Back by simon ess, on Flickr

Virgin by simon ess, on Flickr

Barge by simon ess, on Flickr

I quite like them I find them and interesting contrast between to slow pace of the canal boats contrasting with the high speed train.

Yes they will always look better printed, don't forget that scanning will always show the grain more of any film when compared to prints.

You could try scanning at different resolutions and seeing if it reduces the grain.

Thanks very much Nick.

In general, is it higher or lower resolution that reduces grain, would you say?

Before I rejigged my system I used to find that scanning at 1500dpi (mine are dedicated film scanners) would be better than scanning at a higher say 2500 or 4000 dpi.

Now I have new machine I am experimenting with various settings on the scanners and differnet resolutions to try and get something looking good on a computer screen ~sigh~ all fun and games.

However I am not sure with flat bed scanners as I am not familiar with them so it is a case of experimentation.

Last edited:
In general, is it higher or lower resolution that reduces grain, would you say?

I don't know the answer to this, but I suspect it depends on the film. I have some shots showing up VERY grainy, and others that are creamy smooth. It may be an interaction between the grain size and the scanning resolution, so perhaps in some cases both higher and lower resolution would reduce grain. Anyone done more scientific experiments?

You want to be able to scan at a high enough resolution that the grain is resolved as then you can know that all the available detail in the frame has been resolved, after that you can always use a grain reduction filter etc if you want to reduce it a bit.

Generally quite a nice set, although on number 2 I would crop in a bit so that the front of the train is a bit closer to the edge as it seems like theres a lot of empty space on the right hand side.

Back