First go at HDR

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Went up to the Lake District last week and while there had a day out a bit further up and had a look at Hadrians wall.
So here is my first go at hdr and put to use a nice border i picked up earlier......

Hadrians-wall--Birdoswald.jpg

What could i do to improve?

What could i do to improve?

Not much, I reckon. I think they're pretty good. Not overdone. I like the RHS one better - I think the composition works nicely. They're both a bit soft, but that will be the result of re-sizing I imagine.

I'm not keen on the borders though.

I actually really like the borders. Like both shots, but the one on the right I just love!

For starters I would consider some dodge and burn for emphasis, for instance adding a bit of punch to the sky... I am learning that hdr and tonemapping isn't the be all and end all of a photo. Try it in your main editor; PS or PSP and see what you come up with. You can also try things like smart sharpen, or to go over parts with a sharpening tool too...
These are just ideas to try, never hurts to play about ;)

I really like htis image - shows an altogether different appeal.

Are there any HDR tut's on here anyone? I really need to find out more about this subject.

Google found me this interesting one with images showing the final results.

Not much, I reckon. I think they're pretty good. Not overdone. I like the RHS one better - I think the composition works nicely. They're both a bit soft, but that will be the result of re-sizing I imagine.

:agree:

I like the frame :)

As far as HDR processing goes, they're good. Not overly done or anything. As far as the end result goes, I find the sky is a bit dull. I like the mountains in the distance of the left one. There's not a huge amount to look at in the right one. Wall, grass, dull grey sky. Borders aren't to my liking in this context :)

I feel the balance is a tad off. The ground looks overall lighter than the sky which doesn't seem to agree with the lighting. I think the pic on the left is a better compostion but it looks a little low on contrast. I'd be tempted to crop some of the top of the top and lose the boarders. But that's just me :) Theres potential there, just needs a bit of tweeking (all imho of course) (y)

Thanks for the comments, yeah agree about the frames, was just trying some out after downloading them yesterday.
Was a good day out it was pouring with rain but that kept the crowds away which i like (not bad weather just bad clothing).

Back