First go at shooting a cloudy sunrise

Edit My Images
Yes
Also first time I've been up early enough to see one in a while :D
I was supposed to be seeing some planets but for the only cloud in the sky to be in the wrong place.. so I stuck around and tried some sunrises.

These were taken in Windsor Great Park. Managed to just avoid the planes coming in to land at Heathrow :p

MG_0488-Edit.jpg

1/320 sec, f/8, 50 mm, ISO 100

MG_0494-Edit4.jpg

1/400 sec, f/8, 18 mm, ISO 100

The shots exposed reasonably well (at least the histograms looked reasonable), but colours were rather muted so I had a go at making them a stand out a bit more with Lab colour mode in PS.

But still my gut is telling me that they are too dark, and I may have overdone the colour processing. Any thoughts?

1st is pretty good, not bad at all actually
2nd the tree is too central .. crop off about a 1/4 on the right and see what I mean

I like No 1, although i would crop almost all the dark area from the bottom. Wel done

Thanks! (y)

Had another go at #2 with the crop.

MG_0494-Edit6.jpg

I'm happier with the colours, not so much red this time, and it does look better.

Rocket, I think you might be right about the silhouette, perhaps I was a little over zealous in applying the 1/3 rule to the horizon :)

Went back this morning and took some more, this time with almost completely clear skies so I'll post up a few of those when I've done processing them.

MG_0746-Edit.jpg

1/60 sec, f/8.0, 18mm, ISO 200

This was just before dawn.. I liked the difference in colours between the clouds/trails and the horizon. By chance a number of aircraft flew into the frame from behind leaving (almost) converging trails. I like to think they're coming out of the tree :)

MG_0752-Edit.jpg

1/320 sec, f/8.0, 34mm, ISO 100

I thought what was left of this tree would make an interesting silhouette and got there just in time to see the Sun peek over the hilltops. Sun and tree stump are a little far apart for my liking but that couldn't be helped, I couldn't get in front of the tree because of some thick bushes just out of shot.

Back