first go at this

Name
Jade
Edit My Images
Yes
selfportrait.jpg

what you think im not sure about the lower part of face but its my first self portrait

Jade

Moody - nice catchlight - I think the crop is fine. Bit noisy though. Good effort IMV

Jade I think it's actually very good, I'm not sure I'd alter anything at all. The shadow areas are a bit denser and lacking in detail than I'd normally like, but it suits the image.

I'd perhaps crop a bit on the right if at all?

thanx for the comments peeps
helped with the confidence i seem to be very much lacking at the min

I think that's a good shot and self portraits are just a nightmare at the best of times.

There is a crop of edgy shots popping up on here at the mo and I have to say I'm really enjoying them. I did drag this one into potatochop to have a little play with the levels and I reckon a little bit more bite on the white point balances the lovely deep blacks a bit more. :)

Jade your image is still way over size - it needs to be no more than 800 pixels on the longest side.

Edit
I just refreshed the page - it's fine now, a bit smaller than you're allowed in fact. :)

I sharpened it, increased the highlights to give it some punch and cropped.

selfportrait-edit.jpg

Be pretty proud of yourself. ;)

thanx for the edit i like it

all i did was convert to black and white up the contrast a little and my crop
was a shocking picture of me in colour lol

You're welcome!

This is taking shadow detail recovery to the limit, but gives you some idea what the shot could be.

selfportrait-edit2.jpg

It's definitely a theme you should revisit. Ring the changes with the lighting. ;)

Looks pretty good to me - esp for a 1st attempt! You say you're not quite sure about lower half - what do you mean exactly? If you wanted to lighten the shadows there slightly hold a white reflector (white card will do) under your face just to throw a little light back.

just looks grainy i quite like the dark shadows and have darkened the pic quite abit i just think it suited the mood at the time

thanx for all the great comments

Jade

Just looking at the image I would have suggested a tiny sharpen - and then scrolled down to find that CT beat me to it! Nice work, a really good picture. :clap:

Back