First go at Urbex - unused Chalk Quarry!

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
well after searching the net and looking at others peoples shots of decaying buildings, old asylums and Hospitals etc etc.. I thought I would give it ago! luckily for me this place is down the road and I have full access to it due to parts of the old quarry are used by a local cycling club. This meant no sneaking about and getting moved on by security and allowed me to take my time.

I was hoping for some better weather but had no such luck and had to settle for nice grey clouds

I enjoyed myself but unsure wether I want to be chased around by security for the fun of it, there is an old MOD turbine testing plant down the road that I might give ago but its crawling with security but the site is very popular with the urbex type, Only time will see if I end up heading over there.

Anyway the pictures - All shot with Nikon d300s & Sigma 10-20mm

C&C welcome -

7680498726_71874e5f16_c.jpg

7680475344_127f370e40_c.jpg

7680500986_d769c78cff_c.jpg

7680493746_98014bc344_c.jpg

7680478924_88429b6beb_c.jpg

7680477320_6971934d63_c.jpg

3 really does it for me and with some extra doom and gloom on the clouds could make the shot more dynamic
cheers
geof

If you've got the opportunity to, then really make the most of each photo opportunity at a site, try it from different angles and different heights. Look for the details and textures, as well as the bigger picture of the rooms, equipment, etc.

Like Geoff, 3 is my favourite of this selection. If you can get into pyestock, go for it, I went back in 2007 when security was, shall we say lax. We probably only saw a quarter of it and we were there all day, it's incredible, but security is much more active now.

I would agree with Andy.

For me, my honest opinion:

#1, room full of junk
#2, room full of junk with a staircase
#3, derelict machinery with blown sky
#4, heavy machinery in the middle of scene, with blown sky
#5, room full of junk, with open doors
#6, best of the set. Low angle.

They just lack oomph. Flash may help, low angles, get in closer and ficus on some detail.

Have to be honest here. I feel there's potential here, you just need to think differently.

Regards.

Thanks for the input guys! I will cirteanly give it another go! I used flash on one or two of these, i will simply give it another go and get more creative and take notice of the
Smaller details!!

The sky in 3 looks ok on my mac however :s

Cheers guys :)

Back