First go at water drops :D

Edit My Images
No
Hello :D

I had my first go at water drop shots last night. I already have plenty of ideas how to improve them for my second attempt. I thought I would share them and see what you think.

I hope you like them :D

4619118691_9bf83f753c.jpg

4619735556_274eaf207b.jpg

4619120823_d0fd3e6423.jpg

4619120387_40247abf78.jpg

4619733728_9bfd7125e7.jpg

4619117275_eac4a8251c.jpg

Spoony

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elegantspoon/

Last edited:
Looking good to me pal, I'd maybe of done it at a side on view, but what do I know.

What are you planning for next time?

Thanx Eddy :D I did do it from a side on view but the bowl was a bit high. So next time I plan to use a wider try instead of a mixing bowl so I can get a bit lower and more side on.

yeah, it gets better from one to the next..if i may add, not that i know how to do these shots, but i find the red background somehow distracting, it make the droplets less 'stand out'..anyway, nice shots!

Thanx for the replies I will report back with my second attempt :D

You got it. Love the second set.

Well done :)

Last edited:
They're cool, but you need to do them in a pitch black room or increase the shutter speed to avoid the motion blur. The main of the image is sharp because of the flash, but the trails coming off them are the motion blur from the long shutter speed. You haven't included the Exif data in them so I can't see what it is, but must be slower than 1/100 I presume? I'd notch the shutter speed right down or use a darker room.

But anyways, they're very nice, specially number 2!

All the info is on flickr :) if you click the link bellow each image.

They were all taken at 1/200 as thats the quickest I can with my flash. I've not tried it without the flash on.

All the info is on flickr :) if you click the link bellow each image.

They were all taken at 1/200 as thats the quickest I can with my flash. I've not tried it without the flash on.

Certainly with the flash on, yes. Make the room as dark as you possibly can to avoid the motion blur then :) Also, decreasing the FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation) will decrease the length of time the flash is on for, and further reduce any motion blur. Of course you will have to dial up the aperture to compensate for the less light.

Once I get my lens sorted I will give this a try. My kitchen is extremely bright so I will do it in the evening next time. I'll try the reduced flash and post the results :)

Back