First go at water drops

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
water_drops.jpg

I'm working with the 18-55 kit lens and the onboard flash to work with so this took some patience. Soooo many shots ever so slightly out of focus as you really need to get in closer than this lens will allow. But, I like this one: no crop, just s tiny bit of sharpening.

On a related note, is there any way to get the shutter speed faster than 1/200 when using the onboard flash? I figure the flash only needs to be going off during the exposure, I don't care if it carries on after the shutter closes, or is there something important I'm missing? Using a 400D.

I like the image and the highlight seems to add to it too.

As for the flash the only way you will get a faster shutter speed using flash would be to buy a flash that supports High Speed mode, and that is only assuming that your camera supports that too!

What is the fascination with water drops? - I never understand it! It's been done a zillion times but I don't know why!

For me it's the simplicity of it. The marvel that something so simple can be captured and look cool.

For someone like me who has only had a DSLR a few weeks I suppose there is an aspect of novelty to it, I'll probably do it this once and never again (in this fashion). There are others who create interesting effects doing it (like the drop collisions thread going on atm).

Why do people keep photographing sunsets?

What is the fascination with water drops? - I never understand it! It's been done a zillion times but I don't know why!

Because you can produce an endless amount of weird forms and splashes and collisions that are never the same twice :)

OP: Nice photo :) I like the sparkle.

Because you can produce an endless amount of weird forms and splashes and collisions that are never the same twice :)

OP: Nice photo :) I like the sparkle.

Thanks, it loses quite a bit of definition at 72ppi unfortunately, but still shows it off nicely. I must have taken 200 now, only that one with the highlight.

Thanks, it loses quite a bit of definition at 72ppi unfortunately, but still shows it off nicely. I must have taken 200 now, only that one with the highlight.

You can claim that you dropped a diamond into the water to get your photo! :LOL:

It is indeed nice. Adding dye helps, so you can see the forms more. All the droplet pictures I've taken (see my thread) are with my inbuilt flash and my 18-55mm kit lens :)

Back