First high contrast Black & White

S

Slvrbck

Hi all,
I have had some great advice so far in my 365...
I was hoping I could tap you for some more C&C on my first go at high contrast black and white.
This is the original...
Sara_Original.jpg

And this is the after...
Sara_HC_B&W.jpg

I have tried to keep the photoshop work to a minimum...

Too much contrast for me.

I suggest you remove the flash hotspots (for instance, on her lip and nose, but keep the catchlight in her eye) and apply some smoothing of some sort - especially to her arm. I wouldn't really know how to do the last part, I'm afraid.

Then try the black-and-white conversion and contrast adjustment again :)

Hope you don't mind but I had a wee bash at this one - using a work monitor which isn't even calibrated for Word let alone PS! hehe

B_W1.jpg

Hi Gman,
Don't mind at all.
I have had a play again today but don't seem to be able to replecate what you have achieved.
Any chance you could let me know what process you followed or maybe uploading the PSD file if you still have it?

Rather than go through each part step by step it's probably better if I just say what tools I used? I'm no expert but here goes hehe:

Whilst the photo is still in colour...

To remove the hotspots I selected the Brush, Opacity at 20% and then held down left-control (changes cursor to Eye Dropper)and left clicked on a better skin tone right next to the hotspot then using the Brush I gently brushed over the hotspot. Trick here is patience and use a very low opacity percentage otherwise it will look fake.

You can use the same process to airbrush all the skin but remember to keep reselecting colours near to where you are airbrushing so it looks natural and go easy!

For the eyes, select the Dodge tool (two under the fill icon) and chose a low exposure percentage of around 10%. Also set it for Shadows. Change the brush size to the same as the outer ring part of the eye (not the pupil but the blue coloured bit) and careful click around the blue to brighten up the eyes (just a touch mind).

I also airbrushed the shadow under her mouth.

Used a gigantic airbrush set to black to give the similar effect of a vignetting style thingy - same as yours basically.

Airbrushed her neck slightly and the left side of her nose (the redish shadow part)

Converted to B&W and then increased the contrast very slightly.

I reckon if you are going to convert to B&W you have to be extra careful when airbrushing the skin as it will probably show more if rushed. Try and make sure you go over all of the area evenly.

Hope this helps?!!! (y)

Oh, have a look and see if the March copy of Digital Photo is on the shelves still as it has a great tutorial disc on it. Also check out Digital Camera April edition for more portrait tips on a disc!

Cheers
Graham

Back