First images with Raynox MSN-505

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Today I took delivery of the (as far as I'm aware) most powerful Raynox close-up lens, the MSN-505. Used on the 45-175 lens on my G5 it gives a maximum scene width of 10.5mm and a minimum scene width of 3mm, which in APS-C terms is 7.5:1. Working distance is 18mm.

I took it out for a spin in the garden for a bit under an hour with the G5 and 45-175, and the KX800 twin flash with my midi-hybrid diffusers (without the additional concave diffusers). I will write up the results in my Journey thread in a day or three, but in the meantime I thought I would share some images from the session.

All the images were captured hand-held using autofocus. Post processing used my usual workflow of batch processing in DXO Optics Pro and image-specific processing in Lightroom. These images are taken from the 46 images in this album at Flickr.

0852 07 2016_03_15 P1130397_DxO LR 1300h
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

0852 18 2016_03_15 P1130435_DxO LR 1300h

0852 20 2016_03_15 P1130442_DxO LR 1300h

0852 25 2016_03_15 P1130450_DxO LR 1300h

0852 28 2016_03_15 P1130460_DxO LR 1300h

6 This one was moving around, fast.

0852 39 2016_03_15 P1130549_DxO LR 1300h

0852 43 2016_03_15 P1130632_DxO LR 1300h

0852 41 2016_03_15 P1130599_DxO LR 1300h

Ok, bed time for me but I want to know more! How was it to work with? How was working distance impacted? Did you have any kind of issues with DoF, light transmission, auto-focussing? Are any of these cropped?

Perhaps most importantly, what do you think would happen if I stuck one of these on the front of my MP-E?

Ok, bed time for me but I want to know more! How was it to work with? How was working distance impacted? Did you have any kind of issues with DoF, light transmission, auto-focussing? Are any of these cropped?

Perhaps most importantly, what do you think would happen if I stuck one of these on the front of my MP-E?

Time for bed for me too now, but I'll try to cover all those questions except the last one in my Journey thread. Maybe tomorrow, but I have a meeting in the morning and then gardening duties to attend to, so I can't start working on the post until late afternoon or evening.

As to what would happen with the MPE, I don't know. Not sure my trying it on my 55-250 at around 65mm would tell us. I did just try it - there is a bit of vignetting, not much, and quite severe pin cushion distortion (which is correctable - as was needed for a lot of the G5 images today). I think it highly likely you would get the distortion. Don't know about the vignetting. And (most import for you I suspect) what it would provide in terms of extra magnification I have no idea. What happens when you put some other close-up lens on the MPE?

Time for bed for me too now, but I'll try to cover all those questions except the last one in my Journey thread. Maybe tomorrow, but I have a meeting in the morning and then gardening duties to attend to, so I can't start working on the post until late afternoon or evening.

As to what would happen with the MPE, I don't know. Not sure my trying it on my 55-250 at around 65mm would tell us. I did just try it - there is a bit of vignetting, not much, and quite severe pin cushion distortion (which is correctable - as was needed for a lot of the G5 images today). I think it highly likely you would get the distortion. Don't know about the vignetting. And (most import for you I suspect) what it would provide in terms of extra magnification I have no idea. What happens when you put some other close-up lens on the MPE?
Well you kept me up a few minutes longer ;)

I did some googing and came across this:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=57142&sid=9c37a8a525016628fbeede70255d6a0d

Someone has tried it and the results were... a bit underwhelming. I noticed the distortion you were getting when I was looking through your flickr album. I also noticed how brilliantly you corrected it, so you'll need to explain that process too!
Anyway, long story short, I get this kind of magnification currently with my 1.4x extender. I'm not sure how it compares with the light transmission, but I don't get the edge distortion. I think in my quest to get a bit closer, using a 2X teleconverter might be a better way forward (for my setup). Oh well, I really should start saving for the latest model, I've read it's much better than the previous 2 canon iterations.

Anyway, I'm loving the results you are getting and looking forward to reading more about your discoveries!

Great images Nick, i guess someone had to try the MSN-505 ;)

I was kicking myself a couple of months ago, i was watching a msn-505 on my "Fleabay" (not many of em come up for auction) Anyway, totally forgot when the auction ended, so i missed it...it gets worse, it sold for less than £25.....................that was a bargain for some lucky swine!

Back