First Kids party results and rant

Edit My Images
Yes
I shot my first kid's party yesterday. I earned a few things and had a good time being a fly on the wall as I snapped pictures.

Imagine being paid to shoot a 1 year-old's birthday party, in a small house, with 16 people running around (4 generations!) and a 6 year old child who just had to be the center of attention. I don't think I will be doing a lot of kid's parties in the future....

Most of the pictures would only be of interest to the family, but a couple I saved to share.

A couple of 'mood' shots I took for the DVD slideshow I am preparing

2663144411_9568e7f4e9_o.jpg

2663145421_67e9d7c3a1_o.jpg

This is Alex. He was born prematurely and came home weighing only 4lbs. Despite his inauspicious beginning, he is a happy little guy and very healthy.

I brought a new squeak toy to distract him if it became necessary. He spotted it and decided he had to have it.

2663970918_3596f2bb95_o.jpg

It became his favorite toy, despite the pile of gifts. I left it there as I didn't have the heart to try and take it back.

2663971462_109e4dd2ce_o.jpg

His Great-Great-Grandmother, a spry and very funny lady at 94

2663971210_2718dd62eb_o.jpg

I know that none of them are the greatest shots I have taken, but I guess I just wasn't as prepared as I could have been for chaos that is 16 people in a small house, with children running around and a dozen other cameras going.

I think the family will be happy, but there wasn't alot of space or time for any fancy stuff.

I do like the composition of #3 and #4, with #4 being my favourite - I know it's a child's party I just prefer the character in the older face.

I would have like to spend more time, set up some shots, but there was just no way with so much going on. I was more papparazzi than photog :p

Try not to take shots of grownups eating... I have yet to find anyone who liked a pic of themselves doing that! (y)

Yes.. events are difficult... if you want to do it... it takes practice!

Thanks for the tip, Janice... it seemed the only time I could catch an adult standing still was when they were eating :)

Back