First Kingfisher

W

whiteflyer

I'll state right from the start that these are not up to the standard of everyone's photos in the bird section.

It's the first time I've been out just to shoot a kingfisher, and I'm happy that I actually got something :) , but I can see the quality is poor, I don't think the 100-400 works that well with an extender, and I need to learn camera settings for shooting birds. Even at 560mm I was to far away :crying:

1D4_kf3.jpg

1D4_kf2.jpg

1D4_kf1.jpg

Don't beat yourself up Mark, I think you've done remarkably well with that kit - as you say converters aren't at their best behind zoom lenses and these must have been at quite a range?

......Still all 3 are good captures.
#1 is not far off with a nice b/g.
How far away was that one.

keith

That' s very kind of you to say Cedric :)

Cheers Keith, he was moving from two perches ,one over the lake and one near to some reeds and bulrushes.

He was quite a distance, and I knew I would have problems when two other togs were using 500mm + extenders. I guess I'll just have to start saving my pennies again.

This is a full frame to show the distance, and I think the lens (which I borrowed from my dad may need a little calibration)

1D4_0963.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to learn the proper way to shoot Kingfishers m8.

1. Search Ebay for suitably stuffed kingfisher.
2. Spend all day posing Kingfisher and taking stunning pics.
3. Post Kingfisher shots on TP claiming you used your 800mm f2.8 L lens.

Either that just buy a hide and get closer like everyone else (who dont not use a stuffed one.) :LOL::LOL:

That would be a challenging crop for me, even with the 7D, 500mm and 1.4X TC.

Last edited:
Not a heck of a lot wrong with these to my eye, that a bit of post processing can't fix :)

It looks as if much of the detail is there, they're just a bit dark and the colours are not quite right.

Back