First Light Trails Attempt

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
First go at light trails last night.

No Tripod and it was freezing so had a few iffy ones. Managed to get a couple that I thought were ok.

Would love another opinion and how I can improve.

IMG_0225 by John Marrs, on Flickr

Not a bad effort for a first attempt (y) but the issue with this style of light trails is that the headlights can often dominate the scene, it's best to shoot with the headlights on the opposite side of the road, that way the traffic going away from you will often hide/reduce the effect of the head lights.

I did one recently where I didn't have any headlights and it still worked really well (y) HERE

Matt
MWHCVT

Matt
MWHCVT

Not a bad effort for a first attempt (y) but the issue with this style of light trails is that the headlights can often dominate the scene, it's best to shoot with the headlights on the opposite side of the road, that way the traffic going away from you will often hide/reduce the effect of the head lights.

I did one recently where I didn't have any headlights and it still worked really well (y) HERE

Matt
MWHCVT

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks for the reply.

I took quite a few without headlights but because I don't own a tripod yet they came out very blurred due to me freezing on the side of the road :LOL:

I really like that picture!(y)

Once I get a tripod will definetly do some more of these as I really enjoyed doing them. Might brave the cold tonight and have another go at a different location.

Definetly caught the photography bug :)

Thanks

you absolutely HAVE to get a decent tripod...:D

i read Matts' articles and recently started on the M74 south of Glasgow

try to find an overpass without any On/Off ramps as the flouro lighting can play havoc with the white balance

this is my fav to date - as Matt says - from the left carriageway highlights the tail-lights

taken at 30secs - the max without my remote [forgot....:bonk:
7223300f.jpg

Last edited:
Back