First Macro Attempt

Name
Sid
Edit My Images
Yes
Okay, Guys 'n Gals, this is my first attempt at a macro shot with the D50 18-55 lens. Only cropped for size no other alterations. Is it OK? I think it's looks a tad 'soft'. Or it may be my old eyes! Anway, the exif data is:

Focal length: 55.0mm
Exposure time: 0.013 s (1/80)
Aperture: f/20.0
Whitebalance: Manual
Light Source: Shade
Metering Mode: spot
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

80d757e6.jpg

nice pic, colours look a bit off, maybe to do with you manually setting white balance? you really need to edit images in a program to adjust levels etc and any digital photo needs to be sharpened regardless of the shot,it's just the nature of the beast.

Thanks for the advice. I did actually look at adjusting the levels manually in CS2 as the auto-levels looked awful, very green. Would it look better being made a bit darker and adjusting the colours level?

maybe, have a play and stick it back up, my pc isn't working so can't play with it at the mo, stuck on p3 laptop with no cs2 arrggghhh! nevermind conroe coming tomorrow

ppp said:
nice pic, colours look a bit off, maybe to do with you manually setting white balance? you really need to edit images in a program to adjust levels etc and any digital photo needs to be sharpened regardless of the shot, it's just the nature of the beast.

Ummmmm - why? :shrug:

The only time this is vaguely true is if the shot is RAW. Even to view a RAW image processing of some description has taken place. Most compacts tend to be OVER-sharpened when they're saved to memory IMHO...

You shouldn't really need to alter white balance for daylight, as the 'Auto' setting on your camera should reproduce WB well. It's tungsten and flourescent light where digital cameras can't really be relied on to produce good results, and when you're usually better off setting it manually.

Most digital cameras give you a choice of sharpening algorithms, including turning off sharpening altogether, with many people preferring the latter option and dealing with sharpening in processing. With RAW files of course, no sharpening is applied at all in in-camera processing.

How much sharpening you apply is largely a matter of personal taste, but when you reduce an image substantially in size, as presumably you have here, it invariably loses a little definition and benefits from a sharpen. Your pic is a touch on the soft side, probably for that reason. :)

So is it advisable to crop picture first, if needed, and then do adjustments. Or the other way around, cropping last? Normally, I never touch my photos at all, so doing any sort of post work, getting it in the correct order is all a bit new to me. Any advice will be warmly welcomed (as long as it's polite:razz: )

i do alterations on full size image then crop, but i dont know if thats 'correct' or not

Back