First Macro!

Name
Claire
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to the local butterfly place today to try out my first macro lens. CF cards still not arrived from Amazon so couldn't try the new 7D but made do with the faithful 450d instead!

Would like some comments / feedback please...... :)

Lovely crisp images, love the 2nd shot, great set.

Very nice shots and very sharp. What kind of lens did you use?

Very nice shots and very sharp. What kind of lens did you use?

Thanks all. :)

Was surprised I got any results first time out! It's the Canon 100mm macro bought from here earlier this week.

Thanks all. :)

Was surprised I got any results first time out! It's the Canon 100mm macro bought from here earlier this week.

Great lens the 100mm, but can I ask, where did you find those subjects in this weather.

Excellent work Claire, lovely sharp details

Great lens the 100mm, but can I ask, where did you find those subjects in this weather.

A place near me called Tropical Wings. Was very tropical and just wandered around for the first half hour waiting for the camera to de-mist! :)

lovely photos but cant help think the colours are wrong take a look at this copy I downloaded from your flickr [yes thats right I know you have download turned off BUT it is NOT possible to stop it I am afraid]
Any how what you think about the colours?
OPS was no edit not ticked? thought it was first time....photo removed

Last edited:
Lovely shots - was that the IS version or did you use a tripod or flash?

No not the IS version (couldn't afford that :() and my flash gun batteries run out before I even got started! Just used the tripod and luckily it was very quiet there today so I wasn't getting in anyone's way ;)

lovely photos but cant help think the colours are wrong take a look at this copy I downloaded from your flickr [yes thats right I know you have download turned off BUT it is NOT possible to stop it I am afraid]
Any how what you think about the colours?

No problem. I think I need to calibrate my PC! Your not the first person to comment that my images look too warm. My photoshop skills are limited and I tend to just play about a bit until I like what I see, which is dangerous when everyone else is seeing something different :bonk:

What did you do? Was it the saturation or white balance temp?

Thanks.

No problem. I think I need to calibrate my PC! Your not the first person to comment that my images look too warm. My photoshop skills are limited and I tend to just play about a bit until I like what I see, which is dangerous when everyone else is seeing something different :bonk:

What did you do? Was it the saturation or white balance temp?

Thanks.

as you see I have removed the photo as I now see you not have edit ticked.
I did white light balance plus a little sharpening
if you want the photo put up again just say

Nice shots, Claire. I like the third one the most. One and two are cropped too tight for my preference, and I find the plant distracting in the last one. Just my opinion though, they are all great shots.

Is Tropical Wings worth a trip to? I've been thinking of heading over there myself at some point soon, but not been before.

Nice shots, Claire. I like the third one the most. One and two are cropped too tight for my preference, and I find the plant distracting in the last one. Just my opinion though, they are all great shots.

Is Tropical Wings worth a trip to? I've been thinking of heading over there myself at some point soon, but not been before.

Thanks. Yes it was good for a half day visit. They have the main butterfly house and then other animals outside - otters, meercats, wallabys, pets corner, birds etc. I arrived just as the otter feed was starting (11am) so went staight outside to see them. Problem was the camera was then especially cold when I went back inside :bonk:

What is the name of the place? You said you didnt use flash. What was lighting like inside the place?

It's called Tropical Wings in South Woodham Ferrers......

http://www.tropicalwings.co.uk/

The lighting wasn't too bad but without the flash I needed a fairly long shutter speed so the tripod was essential. Couldn't have used one at the weekend as the walkways are quite narrow and I would imagine it would be packed out with kids!

Very nice first atempt :)

Misting is a problem is'nt it, I had the same problem when I went to my local butterfly farm, sooooo hot in there.

Very nice first atempt :)

Misting is a problem is'nt it, I had the same problem when I went to my local butterfly farm, sooooo hot in there.

Thanks! It was like a sauna - don't do those temperatures normally unless I'm sitting on a beach :cool:

Back