First Motocross shots

moomike

TPer Emeritus
Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Took these over the weekend - my first attempt at motocross. Went for my usual, head-on approach with most of the shots but will definitely be trying something a bit more creative next time with slower shutter speeds & panning.
Any C&C & advice for the next one is welcome & appreciated (y)
Weather was terrible & it rained nearly the whole time - great fun though!

0053.jpg

0061.jpg

0013.jpg

Cheers for looking (y)

Nice shots. Particularly like the 3rd, great depth of field with muck flying

(y) well done mike
for myself no1 followed by no3 then of cause no2
purley because of the bike being in the air i like the catch. and the 3rd s depth of field nice set mate..

yep great shots, i also like the 3rd shot the best. How did your DIY rain and dirt cover work.

They're all good for different reasons :)

First's got a bit of action, some mud, you can see his eyes.
Second shows a bit of the contest with someone else, they like that
Third has the same qualities as #1 but what was he doing off the track, was it grass and dirt?

Great backgrounds too (y)

Third has the same qualities as #1 but what was he doing off the track, was it grass and dirt?

...looks like a 'Hare 'n Hounds' race to me :shrug:
:)

could be :)

Just looking again and there's a mixture of MX ers and Enduro bikes, so prob a H&H.....mmmmm:thinking: only one man knows :)

These are very sharp Mike and I notice you have quite a low shutter speed giving the sense of speed..

Really nice set here..:)

Wow, cheers for all of the comments everyone :)
I did have help from Dod, Joe T & Ifotou (cheers again guys (y))
I have no idea what hare & hounds is but it was ran along a dirt track - the guy in the last one just took the corner too fast & overshot.
I was lying down in the dirt for the jump shots & it was absolutely p*****g it down all the way :LOL:
Here are a few more (y)

4. (Wouldn't want to overtake this guy :eek:)
0082.jpg

0024.jpg

0042.jpg

0034.jpg

Cheers again for the comments (y)

where was it?

Some cracking pics there matey, the third one from the first set is especially good. I really need to get back out and do some more myself.

Great stuff Mike!

Keep meaning to go along to our local track but it is always on when we have the mtb'ing.

nice set of shots mike (y)
my fav would be #7 tfs (y)

Great stuff Mike!

Keep meaning to go along to our local track but it is always on when we have the mtb'ing.

Cheers (y) You should definitely try to go along, its such an amazing day (in case you hadn't guessed I am now hooked & can't wait for the next one!! :LOL:)

nice set of shots mike (y)
my fav would be #7 tfs (y)

Cheers Ed (y)

Cheers (y) You should definitely try to go along, its such an amazing day (in case you hadn't guessed I am now hooked & can't wait for the next one!! :LOL:)
I love the smell of two stroke in the morning :LOL: (or the sound of 4 stroke ;) )

Wow!
Mike these are all really cool, you must be really chuffed with these, would never guess they were first time shots!

So, did you fret over your equipment at all or were you just down & dirty from the off? :LOL:

I pass this place quite regularly on Sundays http://www.apexmotocross.co.uk/index.php
Ive always fancied popping in & keep telling myself that as soon as I get my 70-200mm ... I shall make sure I stop by.

Thanks Glo, definitely down & dirty from the off :LOL:
when it started to rain I reached for my custom made waterproof cover (a leg from a pair of waterproof pants :LOL:) & found that I had lost it! Was starting to panic until the first rider came over the jump & then I just got on with it & trusted the weathersealing (scary as hell but I won't hesitate to trust it again).
You should go along Glo - nothing like a good mud bath on a sunday morning :LOL:
(Loving the new avatar btw - is that you?)

He! he! love the waterproof pants idea ... I think I have a pair of unused flourescent legs knocking around the garage.

I will def go along, though I will hope for some dry weather for my first outing ... wuss that I am ;)

Thanks, tis indeed moi in the avatar ... that G5 of mine really loves me :D
Havent got around to a self portrait with the 5D yet ... somehow have a feeling it wont be quite so kind! :LOL:

Hey man, I love the way the first shot of the first bunch and the last shot of the second bunch are covered in flying mud!. Those 2 are my faves!

Back