Critique First outing

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I've just upgraded to a Nikon D7200 and decided a trip to the local canal was in order to see how I fared at handling her.
I've only learned to get off the auto setting within the last 12 months, so I'm very keen to learn and improve.
The look of the photos appear to be better than my old camera, Nikon D60. But it's all about technique and knowledge so cc welcomed, just be gentle with me.

DSC_0099_lzn.jpg

DSC_0104_lzn.jpg

DSC_0113_lzn.jpg

NO editing, straight from the camera.

Last edited:
The D7200 is a great camera. Just keep going out and taking pictures and learn from others, or YouTube. We all had to start somewhere.

Yep - pictures like these are where we all start - whether we wish to admit it or not.

My advice to a beginner - shoot away from the direction of the sun - you'll get richer colours - more detail in the frame and not this washed out scene with dark shadows as the camera struggles the capture/render the scene due to the extreme natural contrast. Try this in the early mornings and late evening and see how the light quality can change your scene

Composition wise - 1st one all day long.

Turn on the blinkies and learn how to use exposure compensation.
This will allow you to increase the exposure and see when you're blowing the highlights.
It can help you increase the exposure so the shadows are a bit lighter, and the blinkies will show if you're over exposing the sky too much.

Yep - pictures like these are where we all start - whether we wish to admit it or not.

My advice to a beginner - shoot away from the direction of the sun - you'll get richer colours - more detail in the frame and not this washed out scene with dark shadows as the camera struggles the capture/render the scene due to the extreme natural contrast. Try this in the early mornings and late evening and see how the light quality can change your scene

Composition wise - 1st one all day long.

Turn on the blinkies and learn how to use exposure compensation.
This will allow you to increase the exposure and see when you're blowing the highlights.
It can help you increase the exposure so the shadows are a bit lighter, and the blinkies will show if you're over exposing the sky too much.

Thanks gents. This has answered some questions that flagged up in my mind and reminded me of some basics that I forgot.

Last edited:
Back