First Photoshoot <Please feedback constructively!>

Name
Jamie Smith
Edit My Images
Yes
I am really pleased with how my first shoot went with a friend. The basic priciple was that she had some nice shots for a modelling portfolio. I worked around basic equiptment.

Many Thanks!
Jamie Smith

Just a few sample [I can link to more]
n854465371_5966341_6237.jpg

n854465371_5966400_8317.jpg

n854465371_5966439_8971.jpg

n854465371_5966340_5917.jpg

n854465371_5966391_5572.jpg

n854465371_5966393_6177.jpg

n854465371_5966396_7098.jpg

n854465371_5966399_7994.jpg

n854465371_5966338_5332.jpg

Last edited:
1&2 look great to me, not got much experiance so not reallyt able to critisize but 3&4 look like the light is to harsh? great ideas for shots though though IMHO
Having a D70 myself it's nice to see what I should be able to produce with practice

1&2 look great to me, not got much experiance so not reallyt able to critisize but 3&4 look like the light is to harsh? great ideas for shots though though IMHO
Having a D70 myself it's nice to see what I should be able to produce with practice

Thankyou!:)
Many thanks for the kind words, although the shoot was in my attic and lighting was with a standard garden floodlight.
This will probably quash my credibility in these forums, but I'm not exactly technically minded :p
I usually do show photography, feel free to check my link below out!
Jamie

Okay, let's go :)

#1 - I love. The pose looks relaxed, the shadows aren't TOO harsh.
#2 - Lighting is far too harsh, don't really understand why there's a receptionist under a spotlight against a brick wall - it doesn't really suit.
#3 - Again, lighting quite harsh. For this pose I'd recommend a landscape orientation - I want to see her arms and legs. Eye contact is awesome though.
#4 - First thing that hits me is that it's wonky and the shadows are super harsh. Lack of hands or face is unsettling, and I think the head tilted backwards just to induce a flicker of an eye would work wonders.
#5 - Not in sharp focus - kills this one, sorry!
#6 - Her placement in the frame is peculiar. Why have her so insignificant at the bottom of the frame and then a massive harsh shadow against the wall?
#7 - Quite like this, more of the book and her ears and the top of her head should be in frame. Too tight framing.
#8 - Shadows are too harsh and her finger is out of focus which is distracting.
#9 - Quite like this one but the shadow on her chest from her knees is distracting and it's a little underexposed. Try moving the light so it shines on her face avoiding any cast shadows on her torso.

Over all, the white balance on pretty much all of them is off. Set your camera to 'tungsten' white balance and they should all turn out a lot less orange :)

Hope that's helped!

Okay, let's go :)

#1 - I love. The pose looks relaxed, the shadows aren't TOO harsh.
#2 - Lighting is far too harsh, don't really understand why there's a receptionist under a spotlight against a brick wall - it doesn't really suit.
#3 - Again, lighting quite harsh. For this pose I'd recommend a landscape orientation - I want to see her arms and legs. Eye contact is awesome though.
#4 - First thing that hits me is that it's wonky and the shadows are super harsh. Lack of hands or face is unsettling, and I think the head tilted backwards just to induce a flicker of an eye would work wonders.
#5 - Not in sharp focus - kills this one, sorry!
#6 - Her placement in the frame is peculiar. Why have her so insignificant at the bottom of the frame and then a massive harsh shadow against the wall?
#7 - Quite like this, more of the book and her ears and the top of her head should be in frame. Too tight framing.
#8 - Shadows are too harsh and her finger is out of focus which is distracting.
#9 - Quite like this one but the shadow on her chest from her knees is distracting and it's a little underexposed. Try moving the light so it shines on her face avoiding any cast shadows on her torso.

Over all, the white balance on pretty much all of them is off. Set your camera to 'tungsten' white balance and they should all turn out a lot less orange :)

Hope that's helped!

Thanks for the detail critism, i think abit of my background would help you understand my mind? Basically, my knowlege of how to use a camera is really basic and i am used to doing show photography. I kind of see what happens in the shoot and see where the camea takes me.
Thankyou for not saying 'Its Wrong' because I don't really believe there is a right or wrong in photography.[Unless is a basic error] Im kind of under the impression that stuff i do isn't exactly standard and quite liked No.6, but each to their own! :)
Re. receptionist of the brick wall, Its because of a role she played in a show we were in and as she is into Musical Theatre the spotlight seemed to make sense. I guess, its different if you don't know her and therefore cannot make the link
My favorite is No.1

Many, Many Thanks.
Jamie Smith

Last edited:
I made the connection between the theatre and the spotlight, but since it wasn't placed in a set the contextual link never materialised.

Also I looked through your website and saw all the show photography you did before I commented.

I made the connection between the theatre and the spotlight, but since it wasn't placed in a set the contextual link never materialised.

Also I looked through your website and saw all the show photography you did before I commented.

That makes sense :)

DSC_0617fix.jpg

Is this an improvement?

Back