First Pics with Nifty Fifty

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Well my Nifty Fifty arrived earlier and I took a few shots with it.

Here are two of my duaghter, that I thought came out pretty well (for me as a complete novice anyway!)

Set the Camera to Mono and took this one;

IMG_0850-1.jpg

When Sofia was out playing in the garden I was just snapping away - managed to capture one when she was laughing ....

IMG_0984.jpg

C&C welcome!

Last edited:
great shots and the first one made me smile, I remember my own with growing front teeth.....cant give anything in the way of C&C but I love the photos.

Nice first shots, this lens really comes alive if you stop it down at least a full stop though. Can I ask why you shot at ISO200 and 1/1000sec? Plenty of shutter speed left to drop the ISO.

Nice first shots! Although I think they are a little soft. I love my nifty fifty.

here are some shots I took with mine for your reference as they are the same kind of subject and capture :) :

2910142156_0697ecfbd1.jpg

2910240206_27bd9a8d18.jpg

Nice first shots, this lens really comes alive if you stop it down at least a full stop though. Can I ask why you shot at ISO200 and 1/1000sec? Plenty of shutter speed left to drop the ISO.

Sorry guys - I'm new here - how can you tell what the settings were from the shot?

Thanks

Sorry guys - I'm new here - how can you tell what the settings were from the shot?

Thanks
If you right click on your photo it shows all the data.thers a small prog you can use for this.I use Opanda powerexif

To be honest I am really just starting out and have the ISO currently set to auto - just playing about with it at the moment (still reading through the manuals and a number of books I got from the library regarding all the terminology!!)

With regards to "stopping it down at least a full stop" .... can you clarify what you actually mean (Sorry for the dumb question!)

I shot at 1/1000sec to see how fast it could shoot at. I've heard it is quite a fast lens, so was wanting to see how fast the shutter speed could go.

Of course. Firstly, unless you want to use noise creatively you are best keeping the ISO set as low as possible. The nifty fifty is a fast lens, in other words it has a large max aperture (f/1.8). But it is not at its sharpest wide open at f/1.8. In fact most appear at their sharpest around the f/4 area. This still allows for a good narrow DoF for portraits and gets the sharpest image. You should be able to handhold down to 1/60sec easy enough, so put it in aperture priority at around f/4 and ISO 100 and see what shutter speed it leaves you with. Then if necessary open the aperture a 1/3stop or two to get you an acceptable shutter speed before resorting to upping the ISO. Have a look into aperture settings on here or a Google search, it's quite interesting to know how it is calculated. Remember that a full stop change in aperture represents either half or double the light hitting the sensor (depending which way you adjust it LOL)

Edit:
Here is a thread in which I listed 1/3 stops for ref.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=88000

Last edited:
Of course. Firstly, unless you want to use noise creatively you are best keeping the ISO set as low as possible. The nifty fifty is a fast lens, in other words it has a large max aperture (f/1.8). But it is not at its sharpest wide open at f/1.8. In fact most appear at their sharpest around the f/4 area. This still allows for a good narrow DoF for portraits and gets the sharpest image. You should be able to handhold down to 1/60sec easy enough, so put it in aperture priority at around f/4 and ISO 100 and see what shutter speed it leaves you with. Then if necessary open the aperture a 1/3stop or two to get you an acceptable shutter speed before resorting to upping the ISO. Have a look into aperture settings on here or a Google search, it's quite interesting to know how it is calculated. Remember that a full stop change in aperture represents either half or double the light hitting the sensor (depending which way you adjust it LOL)

Edit:
Here is a thread in which I listed 1/3 stops for ref.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=88000

That's excellent - thanks very much for that; I'll give it a go. (y)

Looking forward to your next portraits (y)
Remember to focus on the eyes to, especially if the DoF is very narrow.

Stegsie,
Just reading about your confusion with all this aperture and shutter speed malarky, I was in a similar position then I read 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson - best book I've ever read imo, explains it so well and I would really recommend a read.
nice shots, agreed they are a little bit soft though

Back