First Picture

What a look, doesn't want to stand being photographed? The composition doesn't please my eye as yo have cut off the poor soul mid body so this isn't a head and shoulders or a whole dog. You've room above the head but missed the feet.

Nice light and seems sharp to me (y)

What a lovely dog,:) It might have made a better photo if he/she was sat or laid down , its a nice background and would have made a more natural looking pose and done your dog more justice .:)

Hi Riversley, and welcome.

Nice dog(y)
You've picked a nice light to photograph a black dog so the background isn't over-exposed, but as TinaC says it doesn't really work with the body sticking into the frame. It might work better if you go for a square format, cropping the right to approx where the two background trees are meeting at the top of the frame and the bottom to about where the paler tuft on his chest is.

Looks like Haldon Forest? if it is do a search for "Magic walk Haldon", somewhere we spent a lot of time when we were younger.

QS

Thanks all for your feedback.

As i say I'm just starting out and am just using a Fuji Film Compact. Glad to hear that others are happy with focus and exposure.

I take what you all say about the composition though I'd not even noticed about his feet opps!!

QS - This was taken on Haddon Hill on the edge of Exmoor. It is mostly heathland with a border of woodland that I'm just standing on the edge of.

Try using a larger aperture (lower f number) as this will make your subject stand out more from the background.

How old is he btw?

i'm no expert, but agree with what has been said, lovely looking dog, landscape mode would have made more of an impact, great background by the way, but well done. (y)

I shall have to have a play to see if I can manually set my aperture. I do love the impact that a shallow depth of field gives to a subject. I'm hoping to get a more controllable camera by Christmas so I can do this.

I will try and get him in the sitting pose. Unfortunately like so many dogs as soon as the camera comes out he comes to investigate so have to be quick!

Back