First play with HDR

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I got interested in HDR a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd give it a try, I seem to be looking at the sky everywhere I go and imagining how good the clouds would look with the extra contrast. I know this photo has no real composition but I really like the colours and the way the clouds seem to stand right out. I haven't invested in the proper version of photomatix yet so please excuse the watermark!

fieldsand-cloudssmall1.jpg

Very dark, would like to see a normal blue sky shot without the HDR to compare. There are lots of ways to bring back sky to the point of it being super obvious and contrasty other than HDR.

I can't remember the site, will check when home, but I read a tutorial which used a photo of two horses in a field and a blue but very washed out sky. A few min in photoshop and the sky was perfect, the rest of the shot unchanged!!

Gary.

Nice, Did you use one shot or three? If three did you have a problem with clouds moving between shots?

I used 3 shots, using the auto bracketing option on my camera, it takes 3 pics within about a second, 1 normal, one underexposed and one over exposed. So no problem with the clouds moving.

Very dark, would like to see a normal blue sky shot without the HDR to compare. There are lots of ways to bring back sky to the point of it being super obvious and contrasty other than HDR.

I can't remember the site, will check when home, but I read a tutorial which used a photo of two horses in a field and a blue but very washed out sky. A few min in photoshop and the sky was perfect, the rest of the shot unchanged!!

Gary.

Yes it is slightly on the dark side but the sky does change from almost white near the horizon to something much darker near the top.
Here's the orignal, (normally exposed one). I think the HDR version shows the clouds off way better.

hdr025.jpg

I agree, sky to dark, last shot much better eveness of exposure and well balanced.

Yes you've done a good job there Pirate! I like the effect HDR can give you of making clouds look really dramatic so I think was aiming for that darker moodier look with the first picture, yours is however much more balanced.

Back