Beginner First post in a while.

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

Not posted an image for a long time so thought i would try get back into the swing of things.

So il start with a shoot from the past Sunday, Brother and Sister, first time infront of camera and mum politely volunteered them both to help me get some potential portfolio work...

Anna
by danmaslanka, on Flickr

Anna 2

Kieran

And finally the lad wanted abit of a moody style of photo after seeing one of the rock band promos i had on my phone.

Kieran 2

CC is taken on board!

1 & 3 are great, I thinks the back ground in the other two are a bit distracting

Thanks for the comments. I totally agree with what you are saying about the backgrounds. I need to keep reminding myself about backgrounds, especially in woodland scenarios. Something to improve on next time!

1 & 3 also for me. Love the composition and that creamy bokeh. The colours are very autumnal with just enough colour regarding Kieran's hat and Anna's eyes.

I quite like the tousled hair in #1, think it is a good image, nice composition and I really like the processing of it. I like her pose and expression too, though it may not be to everyone's taste. :) Number 2 looks like the light is too hot on her face and detail is lost, like the catchlights though. Number 3 is (just) the pick of the bunch for me slightly edging number 1, the light here is very good imo. Number 4 is spoiled by the background.

1 & 3 are my favourite too.
#2 is a great shot, but I think should have been taken further back and maybe with a longer lens. Beautifully sharp though and I like the processing :)

Thankyou for the comments again!

I quite like the tousled hair in #1, think it is a good image, nice composition and I really like the processing of it. I like her pose and expression too, though it may not be to everyone's taste. :) Number 2 looks like the light is too hot on her face and detail is lost, like the catchlights though. Number 3 is (just) the pick of the bunch for me slightly edging number 1, the light here is very good imo. Number 4 is spoiled by the background.

The light was slightly hot but i feel it could be down the PP aswell.
The background on 4 is annoying me now, but the lad loves his moody set so i wont complain as its the main thing that counts.

1 & 3 are shot with the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 HSM and the other 2 are shot with a Nikon 35mm 1.8G (my new favourite lens as its so cheap yet so sharp!)

Thanks for the comments. I totally agree with what you are saying about the backgrounds. I need to keep reminding myself about backgrounds, especially in woodland scenarios. Something to improve on next time!

You could always opt to shoot wide open and soften the BG with a wide aperture

I love No1 a very nice shot indeed

Les ;)

Like everyone has said, 1 and 3 for me too. With No.2 it's the processing that loses it for me: too much detail lost and an un-natural colour, and agree about a longer lens to give the face a more natural shape. Number 4 broke the rule of thirds and the face & hat aren't strong enough focal points to draw the eye. Cropping bottom & RHS to recompose makes the picture stronger. All IMO of course.

Like everyone has said, 1 and 3 for me too. With No.2 it's the processing that loses it for me: too much detail lost and an un-natural colour, and agree about a longer lens to give the face a more natural shape. Number 4 broke the rule of thirds and the face & hat aren't strong enough focal points to draw the eye. Cropping bottom & RHS to recompose makes the picture stronger. All IMO of course.

Taken on board!

1 & 3 shot with sigma 70-200mm 2.8 hsm and 2 & 4 with nikon 35mm 1.8g

Now THAT is interesting. I can see why lenses between 85mm and 135mm were considered portrait lenses for 35mm photography.

Back