First printer purchase... help please

Name
Niki
Edit My Images
Yes
This may have been asked many times before but i would like to know if anyone has any suggestions or advice about the purchase of a printer.

I have been looking online and there are so many different brands etc i dont know where to start.

Ideally i would like a printer that i can use for everyday office printing occasionally but mainly printing off pictures to a reasonable quality for my own use. I have tried getting some pictures printed off at various places but the colours are way off what i see on my computer...

Not looking for anything bigger than A4 as if i take anything worth getting printed bigger than that id pay and get it printed professionally.

A bit vague i know but any help and guidance would be appreciated.

:help:

I'd look at the Canon Pixma IP4700

It's a fantastic a4 printer, some say the printer software on Epsons is easier to use, I think thats just down to a learning curve.

Make sure you get a current model not an old one. That way you know it's fixable for a while.

If you choose a continuous ink system make sure it's a recommended one ask POAH if your not sure he's quite knowledgable.

Personally I have a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 mk II A3+ with refillable cartridges, neater than CISS systems :D

It`s no use asking for a good printer, to each his own every time. I have 2 Epson combi printers that I use, bought a few years ago and wouldn`t change them. Looking at todays printers for the same price and they look like tin cans. Never had any ink trouble, just fill `em up and away I go. Recently purchased 6 300ml bottles of ink and it looks good. I will be putting a couple of prints on the window cill to check for fading.

Classcams

Leave them there a few weeks.

I did a photograph for a friend at the beggining of the year using my old R300 and CISS system. When I went round the other day I noticed it's no longer black and white but red and white LOL.

I have a Canon IP4600 it is almost faultless not sure what the new version is but I would strongly recomend one.

I am very happy with the Epson Stylus Photo PX710W. Don't forget the type of paper you use for photos makes a world of difference.

Realspeed

Last edited:
I've been looking at the latest of the canons printers the ip4850 (£99 Jessops) it's the later version of the ip4600&4700 print quality is suppose to be superb and as I use dpp (canon software for editing) it flows together well. also has two paper feeds so you can keep bog standard paper in there all the time and just slot in the fancy paper in to the back when needed.

just need a couple of quid to my name then I'm getting one :D

I've been looking at the latest of the canons printers the ip4850 (£99 Jessops)....

You can get them off Amazon (and other places) for nearly £30 less than that. There is also a "package" version that comes with extra ink and a USB cable for low 70s.

I'm very happy with the print quality. As has been said, paper makes a big difference (I'm experimenting with the excellent PermaJet sample pack). I've also used it to print some DVD disks and that is very impressive!

I have a Canon Pixma ip4700, great for 70 quid, not many better A4 printers on the market, i think the new ip4850 is close on price too with small improvements.

Thank you everyone for the advice. That price range for the Canon is a lot better than some ive been looking at and cost is also a factor for me at the moment.

One more questions for you all - is it easy/straight forward/cheap to sort the colour profiles once i have a printer to get the prints as close to my screen colours as possible? I know that they wont be perfect but a little closer than i am getting at the moment when i get my pictures printed off at a shop would be great. Have had a couple printed recently and they were way off what it looked like on my laptop after i spent ages processing them!

Thanks muchly again peeps.

Back