First Real Attempt at Street Candids

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday, before meeting up with the rest of the TP'ers, I called in at Trafalgar Square where they were hosting Diwali Celebrations. It was damp and miserable so the celebrations were a tad muted but everyone was doing their best to have fun despite the weather. Took the new 50mm along to give it a run out and these are the results. portraiture of any kind has not really been my thing up to now, and certainly not street photography, so I knew I was asking a lot to do it 'up close and personal' with the 50mm, but I figured that it was the kind of place people were expecting to be photographed, so gave it a go.
The pictures have been [in some cases] cropped, noise reduced [was shooting at ISO320] and a bit of sharpening on a couple, though most are as they came out of camera. Would appreciate and comments or advice for next time please :)

WGI_5564.jpg

WGI_5567.jpg

WGI_5569.jpg

WGI_5570.jpg

WGI_5571.jpg

WGI_5587.jpg

WGI_5598.jpg

diwali.jpg

I think the cop and the first shot are my faves. The others seem to lack colour, I'm guessing because of the overcast nature. Maybe try B&W? Its a cheap trick but it hides the fact that it was a dull day ;)

Thanks Pete. I did consider boosting the colours and light but wanted to canvas general opinion first. It was such a shame about the weather as it could have been a really colourful event under brighter skies. May give a few of them the mono treatment, just to see (y)

I think you got a style unconcious or not where the subject is generally centred and looking to the left or right. This is just an observation rather than a criticism. :)

I think you got a style unconcious or not where the subject is generally centred and looking to the left or right. This is just an observation rather than a criticism. :)

:LOL: ;) Possibly, but it could also be that they were dancing round in a circles all looking at each other....well, apart from the first one, he was watching and I just saw him stood a few feet away and had to grab a shot, he had such a wonderful face.

I like them, the policewoman shot being my fav. You did damn good considering the conditions! :clap:

Policewoman shot for me too but a nice set of images overall Yvonne (2nd shot looks a tad soft though) - especially using a 50mm lens for your 1st time under less than ideal conditions!!
Think I'd agree with the B&W processing suggestion & also suggest that now you are super confident with your candid photography - try for some eye contact shots too (y)
Excellent way to jump in at the deep end Yvonne, well done (y)

Thanks Mike :D

ok... two edits of the above...first of all a mono. Not sure about this, probably just my conversion thats not very good, but I think it was a day of colour.

mono.jpg

Then a boosted colour version. Basically, I contrast masked, then upped the curves and saturation a little bit... shame you can actually see the rain drops though, sort of gives the game away :LOL:

boosted.jpg

That's a really nice set. I agree with the others - the policewoman stands out for me. I like the one below it too - can't imagine why :)

I think the colours look ok to me, but the B&W conversion works too.

:clap: The first and PC Plod for me - you really captured the essence there!

Well done for getting 'out there' LL (y)
I agree you did well, especially as you were using the 50mm ... not easy is it!
My faves are also the policewoman ... & the 1st shot in mono, as you say, great face and the mono really draws you in.

Back