First real try at High Key Portrait..

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I have tried a high key portrait and I think I could do with some assistance..

Here is the shot could I have your feed back please to let me know where I have gone wrong and what can be done to improve..

I had to replace the background I know my selection could have been improved.. (Will be working on that....)

94077542.jpg

Thanks for looking

Nigel

What a lovely little chap. Hmmm! When I convert to B&W I always use the channels and tweak each one until they all add up to 100. Not sure what happened to your conversion here, but the detail has gone in the hair and eyes. ...and the face is too 'china doll' looking for me - but hey, I am no expert, and I am sure someone will come along soon to give you some specific advice.

Great attempt though.

Gilly

Thanks for the comments I am just like you ...no expert and try to figure out how to do a nice high key is driving me mad... I will re-visit my conversion method and see if I can improve..

Many thanks

Nigel

do you did use Flash for this photo ?

Yes had to it was really dull day ...

Two of them one front and one rear.. but as you can see I need lots of practice..

Nigel

The secret to high key is to ensure all of the collected light is only occupying the right hand side of your histogram, (far right as possible) and without blowing the highlights, not at all easy.
A photo with its recorded light only on the right hand side contains no dark tones or shadows...so the only thing left is a 'high key' image.

If you dont get the high key look right in camera, you can use color curves in PS or elements to get a high key look, go to advanced & create a sort of S shape with the 4 sliders.
On this pic, i'd try levels then colour variations to lighten the shadows- in this case the eyes.
ideally for high key you have 2 flashes lighting the background plus a key light up front.

Back