First roll of film since I was a kid, where to get developed?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I have gone back to grass roots and grabbed an OM-2sp and a 50mm lens and am in the process of making my way through a roll of HP5 from Ilford. Where is it best to get it developed (and I can't do it myself at present!), with prints and decent res images (ie more than just suitable for the web)? I have looked at ilford themselves and it just seems so bloody expensive!

The rest of that thread does have some other info regarding processing, I think the cheapest mentioned is Tescos who can develop/scan and print quite cheaply.

Looks like tesco do it in store and I was hoping to post. Also I have HP5, so it can't be developed using the colour process. Hmm.

It's a good question Menthel. Even in film's heyday getting a good set of B&W prints was a very hit and miss affair, and expensive.
A secondhand processing tank and some chemicals will pay for itself in a few rolls of film and is dead easy to do. Then you can scan your negs and print whatever size you like.

It's a good question Menthel. Even in film's heyday getting a good set of B&W prints was a very hit and miss affair, and expensive.
A secondhand processing tank and some chemicals will pay for itself in a few rolls of film and is dead easy to do. Then you can scan your negs and print whatever size you like.

Thanks. I have only just got myself some film kit again and really just wanted to see how these came out before taking any further steps (for example buying developing equipment and a decent scanner), although that may be an option in the future as my father is also getting the film bug again and has a long history in self developing and making his own prints! Looks like it might be a few quid to ilford after all...

Snappy Snaps can do B&W too and do it on site and scan to cd. They are not very expensive and if you build a relationship with them, are very obliging. I tried both SS and tesco for mono and prefer SS, although in fairness, aquaintances own my local SS, so I do get a good service :D

Snappy Snaps can do B&W too and do it on site and scan to cd. They are not very expensive and if you build a relationship with them, are very obliging. I tried both SS and tesco for mono and prefer SS, although in fairness, aquaintances own my local SS, so I do get a good service :D

I think we have a snappy snaps in Wimbledon. I might have a chat with them. What size did the scans come out as, pixel wise?

That B&W price from Ilford is actually quite good value really and it mean't to be excellent quality. Most places charge a lot more than that because its not as popular and to save money a lot print on colour paper, causing colour tinges to be present on the images.
Thats the main reason that I would reccomend Ilford, they actually print them on proper Silver-Gelatine paper which actually means that the image is likely to last longer as well.

On a side note, if you choose to shoot E-6/slide at any point, seriously take my advice and use Peak Imaging, their about £1.50 more than Jessops but do it in about 2 days compared to 2 weeks. Their prices are a bit cheaper than Fuji Lab as well.(y)

Well its gone to Ilford and cost an arm and a leg! The good news is that my dad found a dev tank in the loft so I may look at DIY.

go for diy its epic, but often leads to slide..................

I really am just sticking with my OM-2sp as film cameras go and then only to black and white. So will only need to dev B&W film. Hopefully. Please. :eek:

It may lead to a decent negative scanner.

Now about medium format......

(Note this last question is rhetorical and deffo does not need any answer or coaxing or 'helping'!)

I really am just sticking with my OM-2sp as film cameras go and then only to black and white. So will only need to dev B&W film. Hopefully. Please. :eek:

It may lead to a decent negative scanner.

Now about medium format......

(Note this last question is rhetorical and deffo does not need any answer or coaxing or 'helping'!)

Welll - if you pick up one of the reasonable flatbeds (epson v500, Canoscan 8800F) they'll handle 120 film pretty well. I'm certainly happy with the 8800F I picked up last summer.

Welll - if you pick up one of the reasonable flatbeds (epson v500, Canoscan 8800F) they'll handle 120 film pretty well. I'm certainly happy with the 8800F I picked up last summer.

These are not the kind of things that either my wife or bank account like to hear!

Back