First shoot.

lukewoodford

FYI, I am Luke Woodford.....by Luke Woodford
Name
Luke Woodford
Edit My Images
No
Yesterday my friend (who is a model) let me take pictures of her. I wnet for something a bit more out there than your standard down the beach pics (they are far to common being from eastbourne!). Let me know what you think, idealey i want to put between 3-6 on my new website im making. If none are good enough please tell me! Many thanks, Luke :)

Jennyshoot1024.jpg

Jennyshoot1026.jpg

Jennyshoot1031.jpg

Jennyshoot1032.jpg

Jennyshoot1034.jpg

Jennyshoot1041.jpg

Jennyshoot1043.jpg

Jennyshoot1046.jpg

Jennyshoot1047.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Luke, hope you enjoyed your first shoot, and I hope you realise that youre so lucky to have such a model at your disposal.

Do you mind if I ask you what time of day you shot the pics, as theyre VERY contrasty, with some really harsh lighting going on there.
Personally, I find the the stong highlights in the background of all of them dominate the pictures far too much leaving the model looking quite insignificant. This doesnt really work for me especially as all her poses are coming off so strong.
Imho, I would go back and reshoot when the light is kinder, and if possible get someone to go with you to hold a reflector to bring some light to your subject's face.
If I were choosing a favourite ... Id go for #7, I find your processing really suits the theme here, and the highlights do not appear such a problem in this pic.

All my humble opinion of course, so do feel free to ignore. :)

She is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pretty. 7 is my fave, but boyo, there are LOADS of realy strong shadows and highlights, making these hard to view properly.

Gary.

Hi Luke, hope you enjoyed your first shoot, and I hope you realise that youre so lucky to have such a model at your disposal.

Do you mind if I ask you what time of day you shot the pics, as theyre VERY contrasty, with some really harsh lighting going on there.
Personally, I find the the stong highlights in the background of all of them dominate the pictures far too much leaving the model looking quite insignificant. This doesnt really work for me especially as all her poses are coming off so strong.
Imho, I would go back and reshoot when the light is kinder, and if possible get someone to go with you to hold a reflector to bring some light to your subject's face.
If I were choosing a favourite ... Id go for #7, I find your processing really suits the theme here, and the highlights do not appear such a problem in this pic.

All my humble opinion of course, so do feel free to ignore. :)

Hello, honestly thank you for being honest, it from 4pm til about 5pm, the sun was very bright! i added contrast in some of the pictures for a mix. So basically i need to make her stand out more? Was there anything on the camera settings i could have done to reduce the highlights? i did keep iso at 200 on my d300. i also used my 50mm 1.4 on 2.8. Is there anything you could recommend me doing in photoshop or lightroom to improve them/.

Hello, honestly thank you for being honest, it from 4pm til about 5pm, the sun was very bright! i added contrast in some of the pictures for a mix. So basically i need to make her stand out more? Was there anything on the camera settings i could have done to reduce the highlights? i did keep iso at 200 on my d300. i also used my 50mm 1.4 on 2.8. Is there anything you could recommend me doing in photoshop or lightroom to improve them/.

I think a flash would have removed some of the shadows, but then you would have lost a lot of the atmosphere with the flash light? I think....

As LL says, go back in better light.

Gary.

I think a flash would have removed some of the shadows, but then you would have lost a lot of the atmosphere with the flash light? I think....

As LL says, go back in better light.

Gary.

Thanks Gary, the problem with the graveyard was all the big trees creating the harsh light, maybe ill try a different location!:bang::)

Thanks Gary, the problem with the graveyard was all the big trees creating the harsh light, maybe ill try a different location!:bang::)

I still think you could make this work, anyway looking forward to your next set :)

Gary.

Hi, a little tip for these types of shoots, you're best shooting this late evening when the light is not as harsh. Previous post are right, they are too harsh on the eye and I would also maybe try a reflector to lift the models face a bit next time and not flash.

nice model btw.

Iain

Hi, a little tip for these types of shoots, you're best shooting this late evening when the light is not as harsh. Previous post are right, they are too harsh on the eye and I would also maybe try a reflector to lift the models face a bit next time and not flash.

nice model btw.

Iain

Thanks for the info, could you please tell me a problem you have with maybe 11, 12, 13? are just just gemerally not very good pictures? I quite liked them but i am VERY new to this:)

To be fair, those are better due to the lack of extreme shades. The first I would have liked a smile and eye contact, the second I find the fence too distracting, and the third I really like but would be tempted to crop the sky out, and put her on the thirds on the left, with space on the right. Maybe increase brightness a little too.

I think its the best shot.

Gary.

Hi, yeah 11 thers just too much shadow happening, her hair and legs dissappear and the leg shape should be part of whats making the shot really. Also , if you are ever have the sky in any of your images ie 11 , it needs to be exposed right and not blown out, in these it just distracts the eye from the main focus area. Keep at it as you are getting there, its just practice and more practice.....and try diff things while you have the models time ie dif lighting solutions.

Iain

There are just way too many to comment on, pick your best 2 or 3 in future (y)

I echo some of the above remarks though :)

Back