First shot at planes...

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey,

Was in Cambridge today and spent around an hour at Marshalls air field.....purely because I've always wanted to have a go at planes...

These are fresh out of the camera with no editing at all....I realise one of them would benefit highly from a crop to remove the bush...hehe..

Anyway crit and comm away!

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_2104.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2070.JPG

Regards

AJ

Nice shots although maybe a slower shutter speed might have put some movement into the props.

I like those AJ, although I agree with Shogun about using a slower shutter speed.

I looked at the Exif data and your camera was on Shutter Priority at 1/800th, try dropping it to around 1/125th or even lower if you can. (y)

I like those AJ, although I agree with Shogun about using a slower shutter speed.

I looked at the Exif data and your camera was on Shutter Priority at 1/800th, try dropping it to around 1/125th or even lower if you can. (y)

I agree with a little prop movement it stops the aircraft looking like models.
I have been practicing the same & 125th to about 1/160th (On a Sea king) worked for me (y)
Great shots though (y)

Nice effort! Maybe try to fill the frame a bit more,which should be easy enough if using the 100-400.

Spud.

Not bad shots for a first try at plane shooting.....the shutter speed for prop planes has been mentioned already......just need some more practice and you will get some good shots with the 100-400......Cheers Barry

Thanks for all you comments...totally agree with the comments re shutter but I was purely there to try and capture something and thought it would be easier to start with a high shutter..will defo try slower shutter next time..

One question..I have done a bit of motorsport photography before and a big part of that is panning....to what extent should i be incorporating this into planes photography? The sensible answer is probably as much as your shutter speed allows but if the plane is not a prop would there be any great gain from panning/slower shutter speed...

Thanks again

AJ

As others have mentioned need much slower shutter speed to get blur in blades, 1/70 or even 1/50 for full propellor circle i think.
Last shot best for me as its a tiger moth.
Nice shooting

You have to combine shutter speed with a well practiced panning technique.With jets you can shoot them at 800th sec because they are usually moving faster than prop planes anyway....and you don't have to worry about prop blur........but shooting prop planes like spitfires and Mustangs at airshows with the slower shutter speeds isn't as easy as people think and it does require a good pan to get sharp shots.
Combined with that is 'focus' with the 350D I use, IR Servo focus and depending on what lens you are using you have to 'time' your shooting when the IR servo gets the plane fully focussed.......its just getting everythng working in harmony......practice your technique and you will be able to get good consistant results......Cheers Barry

Back