First shot from FED 4 purchased in 2nd hand shop

Looks nice Terry. And as you say - It Works!!

I've been spoilt by 21st century lens technology I suppose.

I'm not all impressed with the shots really.

I might put my other roll of Portra 160 through a Cosina C1 I have.

But as you say, it works.

These were scanned with EpsonScan and I'm wondering if Silverfast would do a better job?

Not sure what scanner you're using, but I had a V550 for 35mm and it was rubbish. When I bought a Plustek 8100 and learned how to sharpen I started to get really decent results - even from "bad" cameras. Digital files tend to be "perfect" out of the camera compared to film. I've found that film needs quite aggressive sharpening from a basic scan.

even from "bad" cameras

erm do you mean bad lenses..but here it's all subjective as some guys love fuzzy results and I agree somewhat esp those Hollywood film shots of women (even the women on the original series of star trek),,,,,,,that are diffused and glow.

I've been spoilt by 21st century lens technology I suppose.

I'm not all impressed with the shots really.

I might put my other roll of Portra 160 through a Cosina C1 I have.

But as you say, it works.

These were scanned with EpsonScan and I'm wondering if Silverfast would do a better job?
How about getting the processing lab to do the scanning to see what they get from the lens? Filmdev do a decent job on scanning and it's worth the £6 plus postage for dev and medium scans.

Thanks everyone.

It's not the scanner as it scans my old MF and B&W 35mm negs from the old days no problem.

I think it's just I'm expecting more than is possible from this camera. Rose tinted glasses and all that

Many thanks for all your replies.

The scanner is an old one (Epson 4490)

Back