first shots of birds - seaguls

Edit My Images
Yes
I took some shots of a few seaguls whilst on holiday in france a little while ago, i'm happy with them but wanted a little feedback from any bird shooting experts to see where i could improve in future. There was a chap on here (i'm shocking with names) who put lots of ridiculously helpful stuff on spot metering and metering in general a while back - if i remember i will edit my post in recognition, but this was the result from me learning from that thread, and gave me the confidence to shoot these in full manual even though it might have been easier to stick it on Aperture priority and hope for the best. Big kudos to that man.

i got a few more than the two here but i don't want to bore you to death with seagul pics, if you by any chance want to see more let me know and i'll put'em up.

Thanks in advance

4746361772_340c4166f9_z.jpg

4700423383_4071a8fd71_z.jpg

I really like that second one, it looks like just after the picture was taken it flew into you :D

cheers for the comments so far, i actually prefer the first one, but i think that's down to the fact i can't believe i got so close to it and got a sharp eye.

The first one needed more of the bird in shot, and the side you are shooting not in shade, I think had the nearest wing tip been in shot it would have helped.

The second one's composition is superb, the whites have blown slightly on the gull,s heads, but it does not detract from what is a really good image, I really like this one, and would imagine that it looks even better larger (y)

Vote for the 2nd from me also, great shot.

They are both nice shots, however, I have to agree fully with Martyn's comments on both pictures, especially about the composition of number 1 where inclusion of the nearest wing tip would have made a large difference.
I think the member you are strugling to remember is TDodd, he has writted many useful items on exposure etc.

Back